Take the Time to Develop Your Skills
Being between jobs is a fantastic opportunity to upskill, work on your interview skills, improve your CV and keep ahead of the competition.
Perhaps you want to use your time between jobs to improve your existing skillset or learn about a new field for a possible career path change down the line.
Whatever your goal, Alison's thousands of free online courses mean it's never been easier to learn new skills and gain new knowledge during your job search. By the time you go back to work, you'll be qualified for your next promotion!
Valuable Skills for People to Develop Between Jobs
1. Learn to be flexible to be able to deal with change.
2. Knowing how to manage stress effectively will help you cope with the pressures that come being between jobs.
3. An intentional learning mindset not only enables you to learn new skills quicker but also sets you apart from competitors in the job market.
4. Being mindful and embracing positive thinking will help you cope with the unpredictable.
Upskilling for Contractors & Freelancers
If you're a contract worker, then you never know when your next job could come along. Alison's free Certificate courses last, on average, 2-3 hours and are meant for light study. These courses perfect for Learners who are eager to upskill without making a long-term learning commitment. Our Certificate courses allow you to gain a specific skill or acquire a particular qualification.
- Fundamentals of Project Management - This Certificate course teaches you the project phases, tools and resources that every project manager needs to know to complete a project properly. The course takes you through the most important aspects of project management clearly and simply.
- Financial Accounting Basics - A skill set that every freelancer should be familiar with. This course is perfect for any contractor between jobs. Learn how to keep accurate records and keep on track of your earnings and expenses.
Upskilling for Seasonal workers
Many employees' work schedules are determined by the seasons, like workers in the agricultural or fishing sectors. Seasonal work means you might find yourself with weeks, or even months, between jobs. This amount of downtime provides you with the rare opportunity to devote real time to upskilling. You have the chance to improve your competency or even gain a new set of qualifications, allowing you to start a second career off-season.
Alison's extensive range of free Certificate and Diploma courses are ideal for seasonal workers who are between jobs and have time on their hands to dedicate to skills development. Alison offers Learners free skills training across a range of categories:
IT, Language, Sales & Marketing, Management, Health, Business, Engineering & Construction, Personal Development, Teaching & Academics
Upskilling on Sabbatical
If you have taken a break from your career to focus on personal projects or hobbies, set some time apart to focus on skills training. Whether you're taking a break to pursue your interests or to devote time to mind and spirit, Alison has a range of inspiring (and free!) Personal Development courses at hand.
- Introduction to Gentle Craftivism shows how handicrafts can be used as a tool to serve social change and create positive change in hearts, minds, policies and laws.
- Introduction to Positive Psychology and Positive Personality Traits is a comprehensive guide to positive psychology, this course focuses on concepts like happiness and well-being and teaches you how to develop emotional intelligence as a positive personality trait that aids effective interaction with people.
- Open your mind body and soul with a free yoga course to improve your strength and flexibility.
- If gardening is your thing, and you're interested to learn more about growing organic fruits and vegetables, this free Growing Organic Food Sustainably course is a good starting point.
Are You Between Jobs due to Redundancy?
If you're between jobs due to redundancy, Alison has the necessary educational and self-improvement resources to help you find a new job. Visit our Starting Your Career section for everything you need to kickstart your job search, from courses to aid your CV or resumé writing to Alison's unique Workplace Personality Assessment and Career Guide.
If you're between jobs due to redundancy and are struggling,
Between Jobs Due to the Pandemic?
The coronavirus pandemic has seen hundreds of industries move online and has forced thousands of employees to work from home for the first time. You may find yourself without the skill set to work remotely and thus, without work. Alison's Working from Home Toolkit provides you with all of the skills needed to work from home successfully, regardless of your industry.