Strand 5 Leaving Certificate Ordinary Level Functions and Calculus - Revised
Learn more about functions and calculus in Project Maths Strand 5 Ordinary Level.
Take this certificate on your own.
Start now and learn at your own pace.
CertificationView course modules
Functions is the final strand in phase 3 of the ordinary level Project Maths Course. This topic provides every important link between Algebra and Numbers and then introduces students to applications of calculus in real life.
The use of differentiation to find the slope of a given tangent to a curve at a point is introduced. This then leads on to the study of decreasing and increasing functions. Functions and Differentiation are often used in real life as an aid to understanding rates of decrease and increase.
For example, students will examine problems involving the maximum speed that can be reached by a car. They will look at the highest point that can be reached by a rocket or firework. Finally, the mathematical concept of numerical integration is investigated through the use of the 'Trapezoidal Rule' to find areas under given curves.Start Course Now
Having completed this course students will be able to
- Identify how to plot Quadratic, cubic, reciprocal and exponential graphs from a table of values
- Identify how to translate a function along either the x or y axis
- Identify how to stretch a function along either the x or y axis
- Recognise how to calculate the gradient of a curve
- Identify how to calculate the equation of a tangent and normal to a curve
- Calculate differentiation for equations/formulas with negative indices
- Calculate the second derivative of a formula/equation
- Identify how to use the chain rule to calculate the equation of a tangent
- Identify how to use the product rule to find the equation of a normal
- Identify how to use the quotient rule to calculate the turning points
- Recognize the application of differentiation for calculating displacement, velocity, acceleration, voltage and current
All Alison courses are free to enrol, study and complete. To successfully complete this Certificate course and become an Alison Graduate, you need to achieve 80% or higher in each course assessment. Once you have completed this Certificate course, you have the option to acquire official Certification, which is a great way to share your achievement with the world. Your Alison Certification is:
Ideal for sharing with potential employers - include it in your CV, professional social media profiles and job applications
An indication of your commitment to continuously learn, upskill and achieve high results
An incentive for you to continue empowering yourself through lifelong learning
Alison offers 3 types of Certification for completed Certificate courses:
Digital Certificate - a downloadable Certificate in PDF format, immediately available to you when you complete your purchase
Certificate - a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Certificate, posted to you with FREE shipping
Framed Certificate - a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Certificate in a stylish frame, posted to you with FREE shipping
All Certification is available to purchase through the Alison Shop. For more information on purchasing Alison Certification, please visit our faqs. If you decide not to purchase your Alison Certification, you can still demonstrate your achievement by sharing your Learner Record or Learner Achievement Verification, both of which are accessible from your Dashboard. For more details on our Certification pricing, please visit our Pricing Page.