Strand 2 Leaving Certificate Higher Level Geometry and Trigonometry - Revised
This free online maths course covers up to a third of the new Paper 2 in the Leaving Certificate Paper in the Irish curriculum.
Take this certificate on your own.
Start now and learn at your own pace.
CertificationView course modules
Co-ordinate Geometry and Synthetic Geometry are frequently used in real life to help us understand the transformations and dimensions of shapes and figures (lines, polygons, triangles and circles). Synthetic geometry involves the examination of shapes by means of axioms and theorems. Co-ordinate geometry studies circles and lines using a fixed set of co-ordinates.
Trigonometry involves the 'real life' measurements of angles, length and circular measure in both three and two dimensions. The use of trigonometry can be seen in the areas of building and construction, quantity surveying, and in architecture generally. This strand is one of the most applicable areas of the Leaving Certificate project mathematics syllabus and it allows students to gain experience of real-world problems.
This Strand will merge the mathematical aspects of Geometry and Trigonometry with good examples of real-life application. This is a very accesable course, with interesting subject matter.Start Course Now
Having completed this course students will be able to:
- Define what geometric reasoning
- Discuss applying and using geometric reasoning to solve problems/work out solutions
- Discuss the concepts and processes used to prove a theorem to be true
- Discus working out the equation of both parallel and perpendicular lines
- Discuss the translation, reflection and stretching of functions
- Calculate the equation of a circle
- Recognize how to find angles using the Sine, Cosine and Tangent Ratios
- Recognize how to find sides on a triangle using the Sine, Cosine and Tangent Ratios
- Discuss what Radians are and their uses
- Identify how to sketch a trigonometric function on a graph
- Recognize how to solve trigonometric equations
- Recognize how to prove the sine and cosine rules to be true
- Calculate areas of geometric shapes using trigonometry
All Alison courses are free to enrol, study and complete. To successfully complete this Certificate course and become an Alison Graduate, you need to achieve 80% or higher in each course assessment. Once you have completed this Certificate course, you have the option to acquire official Certification, which is a great way to share your achievement with the world. Your Alison Certification is:
Ideal for sharing with potential employers - include it in your CV, professional social media profiles and job applications
An indication of your commitment to continuously learn, upskill and achieve high results
An incentive for you to continue empowering yourself through lifelong learning
Alison offers 3 types of Certification for completed Certificate courses:
Digital Certificate - a downloadable Certificate in PDF format, immediately available to you when you complete your purchase
Certificate - a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Certificate, posted to you with FREE shipping
Framed Certificate - a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Certificate in a stylish frame, posted to you with FREE shipping
All Certification is available to purchase through the Alison Shop. For more information on purchasing Alison Certification, please visit our faqs. If you decide not to purchase your Alison Certification, you can still demonstrate your achievement by sharing your Learner Record or Learner Achievement Verification, both of which are accessible from your Dashboard. For more details on our Certification pricing, please visit our Pricing Page.