Great Works and Authors of World Literature
This free course will teach you the role that literature has in bridging the gap between protest and democracy.Publisher: NPTEL
CertificationView course modules
This free course will introduce you to the concept of womanism which is a social theory based on the history and everyday experiences of women of colour, especially black women. You will also learn the role literature plays in bridging the gap between protest and democracy and their intrinsic link.
Next, you will study the way in which literature has always been a powerful medium to impact on society. You will learn the nature of power through Kafka's critique of the protagonists in the play and their relationship with power. In addition to this, you will study how The Metamorphosis contributes to Kafka’s place in world literary canon and the political connotations of it.
This course will help you gain knowledge about authors who set the tone with their literary works. You will learn to appreciate the significance and importance of these authors and their contribution to the world.Start Course Now
Literature to Claim
Literature to Claim - Learning Outcomes
Catcher in The Rye
Literature to Claim - Lesson Summary
Bureaucracies - Learning Outcomes
From England to Japan
Mephistopheles and Kafka
The Confrontation of a Man
Kafka as A Madman
Bureaucracies - Lesson Summary
Great Authors and Great Stories
Great Authors and Great Stories - Learning Outcomes
A Madman and Solid Objects
From England to India
Exiles and Alienations
New York in Two Times
A Self-Made Man
Great Authors and Great Stories - Lesson Summary
On successful completion of this course you will be able to:
- Discuss what it means to truly understand and embrace one's culture and one's heritage, the contrast between the stereotypical representation of a black woman as a way to react and the white oppression.
- Analyze the way in which the literature has always been a powerful medium to make a strong impact on society about various social issues.
- Analyze the work in which laid the foundations of Russian realism.
- Discuss the notion of the role of honour in the samurai codes in Akutagawa's work.
- Explain how The Metamorphosis contributes to Kafka’s place in world literary canon.
- Discuss Virginia Woolf's finest work 'Solid Objects' of the modernist period which focus on the materiality of the body.
- Describe the significance of The Inheritance of Loss to the canon of world literature, the exile experience from a postcolonial perspective.
All Alison courses are free to enrol, study and complete. To successfully complete this Certificate course and become an Alison Graduate, you need to achieve 80% or higher in each course assessment. Once you have completed this Certificate course, you have the option to acquire an official Certificate, which is a great way to share your achievement with the world. Your Alison Certificate is:
Ideal for sharing with potential employers - include it in your CV, professional social media profiles and job applications
An indication of your commitment to continuously learn, upskill and achieve high results
An incentive for you to continue empowering yourself through lifelong learning
Alison offers 3 types of Certificates for completed Certificate courses:
Digital Certificate - a downloadable Certificate in PDF format, immediately available to you when you complete your purchase
Certificate - a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Certificate, posted to you with FREE shipping
Framed Certificate - a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Certificate in a stylish frame, posted to you with FREE shipping
All Certificates are available to purchase through the Alison Shop. For more information on purchasing Alison Certificates, please visit our FAQs. If you decide not to purchase your Alison Certificate, you can still demonstrate your achievement by sharing your Learner Record or Learner Achievement Verification, both of which are accessible from your Dashboard. For more details on our Certificate pricing, please visit our Pricing Page.