Accounting - Merchandising Transactions
This free online course looks at the way in which the buying and selling of goods is accounted for in the merchandising sector as opposed to the manufacturing sector. As the inventory is the focus of such businesses, managing the accounts and finance related to purchasing, trade and chain discount, transport costs and invoice terms is critical as they are the major contributors to the gross profit. Students will also learn about the differences between perpetual and periodic inventory processes, both from a physical and accounting perspective.
The learner will be walked through the process of calculating the cost of paying for goods as per the invoice terms, using borrowed monies, versus the cost of paying for them on the invoice due date. The learner will see how to calculate the cost of goods sold and see an example of a classified income statement used to calculate the net profit for this sector.
This free online accounting course will be of great interest to entrepreneurs and business professionals who would like to better understand the management of stock and related cash flow for the wholesale and retail sectors, and to any learner who is interested in accounting as a future career.
Having studied this course learners will be able to:
- Record journal entries for sales transactions involving merchandise;
- Determine and describe cost of goods sold and the distinction between perpetual and periodic inventory procedures;
- Record journal entries for purchase transactions involving merchandise;
- Describe the freight terms and record transportation costs;
- Prepare a classified income statement;
- Analyze and use the financial results - gross margin percentage;
- Prepare a work sheet and closing entries for a merchandising company;
All Alison courses are free to study. To successfully complete a course you must score 80% or higher in each course assessments. Upon successful completion of a course, you can choose to make your achievement formal by purchasing an official Alison Diploma, Certificate or PDF.
Having an official Alison document is a great way to celebrate and share your success. It is:
- Ideal to include with CVs, job applications and portfolios
- A way to show your ability to learn and achieve high results
Modules List( 2 )
ACCOUNTING - MERCHANDISING TRANSACTIONS
1 Accounting - Merchandising Transactions
END OF COURSE ASSESSMENT
2 Merchandising Transactions Assessment
You must score 80% or more to pass this assessment.
Merchandising Transactions Assessment