CertificationView course modules
In this Upper-Intermediate Level English Course - Expressions you will learn useful words and phrases for describing yourself and others. You will learn about the physical human brain and how it is understood to correspond to certain human traits and behaviours. Learn how active and passive sentences and verb forms differ and the changing roles of subject and object.
Study how the verbs 'to get' and 'to have' are used in descriptions. Study how people make complaints, including useful words and phrases and formal and informal speech. Study a sample formal letter of complaint that you can use as a reference. Study how the word 'mind' can be used as an expression in different phrases.
Learn more about Alison's English Language Vertical.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Define the two main parts of the human brain and how they are associated with certain characteristics.
- List useful phrases for describing things, including the correct use of verb forms and pronouns.
- Explain the role of subject, object and agent in active and passive sentences.
- Describe the function of the past participle and the verb 'to be' in the Passive form.
- Justify how the verbs 'have' and 'get' can be used in active and passive forms.
- Prove how, normally in English, the main subject comes at the beginning of a sentence and new or additional information comes at the end.
- Relate how the object in sentences with 'get' changes depending on whether the function is purposeful or accidental.
All Alison courses are free to enrol, study and complete. To successfully complete this Certificate course and become an Alison Graduate, you need to achieve 80% or higher in each course assessment. Once you have completed this Certificate course, you have the option to acquire official Certification, which is a great way to share your achievement with the world. Your Alison Certification is:
Ideal for sharing with potential employers - include it in your CV, professional social media profiles and job applications
An indication of your commitment to continuously learn, upskill and achieve high results
An incentive for you to continue empowering yourself through lifelong learning
Alison offers 3 types of Certification for completed Certificate courses:
Digital Certificate - a downloadable Certificate in PDF format, immediately available to you when you complete your purchase
Certificate - a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Certificate, posted to you with FREE shipping
Framed Certificate - a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Certificate in a stylish frame, posted to you with FREE shipping
All Certification is available to purchase through the Alison Shop. For more information on purchasing Alison Certification, please visit our faqs. If you decide not to purchase your Alison Certification, you can still demonstrate your achievement by sharing your Learner Record or Learner Achievement Verification, both of which are accessible from your Dashboard. For more details on our Certification pricing, please visit our Pricing Page.