Diploma in Media Studies
CertificationView course modules
This course will first discuss the evolution of media and its impact on culture. You will learn about media theories and controversies that revolve around this field of study. You will then look into the main factors which influence books, newspapers, and magazines, and learn how these types of media impact modern cultures. You will also study the impact modern media - such as the Internet, electronic games and entertainment, and social media - has had on society.
You will then study the history of music, the different factors which have influenced music, and music's impact upon culture. You will also look into the challenges which face today's music industry. The course will also discuss the history of radio broadcasting, movies, and television including the influence modern technology has had on these types of media. You will then look at their impact on society and culture, and the different factors which affect them in turn.
The evolution of the Internet and globalization has made a big impact on culture and communication, just as magazines, radio, movies, and newspapers did in previous eras. By taking this free Diploma in Media Studies, you will gain a much better understanding of the historical origins and controversial issues that surrounds media. This is both interesting and important knowledge for any citizen in the modern world. Start your next learning journey, today.
Having completed this course you will be able to:
- Explain the different ways media affects culture;
- Identify the prominent media research methods;
- Explain some of the major objections to specific media theories;
- Discuss the role of the gatekeeper in mass media;
- Discuss the influence of tastemakers in traditional media;
- Identify the material and cultural origins of the book;
- Determine the benefits and drawbacks of digital libraries;
- Describe the historical roots of the modern newspaper industry;
- Describe the effect of objectivity on modern journalism;
- Describe how television has impacted journalistic styles;
- Explain the impact of advertisements on story;
- Assess the impact of technologies that changed the face of the music industry;
- Identify ways in which culture and music have influenced each other;
- Identify ways in which digital music sales have influenced the music industry;
- Identify the major technological changes in radio since its inception;
- Analyse radio as a form of mass media;
- Identify key developments of the motion picture industry and technology;
- Recognize how movies reflect cultural attitudes, trends, and events;
- Describe the effects of piracy on the movie industry;
- Identify ways in which television affects the development of culture;
- Identify the effect electronic games have on culture;
- Describe how video games can be used for educational purposes;
- Describe controversial issues related to modern video games;
- Identify ways the Internet has affected content delivery and viewing patterns;
- Explain the ways privacy has been addressed on the Internet;
- Describe the effects of globalization on culture;
- Identify the possible effects of news migrating to the Internet;
- Identify ways to identify credible sources online.
All Alison courses are free to enrol, study and complete. To successfully complete this Diploma course and become an Alison Graduate, you need to achieve 80% or higher in each course assessment. Once you have completed this Diploma course, you have the option to acquire official Certification, which is a great way to share your achievement with the world. Your Alison Certification is:
Ideal for sharing with potential employers - include it in your CV, professional social media profiles and job applications
An indication of your commitment to continuously learn, upskill and achieve high results
An incentive to you to continue empowering yourself through lifelong learning
Alison offers 3 types of Certification for completed Diploma courses:
Digital Diploma - a downloadable Diploma in PDF format, immediately available to you when you complete your purchase
Diploma - a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Diploma that is posted to you (with FREE standard shipping worldwide)
Framed Diploma - a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Diploma in a stylish frame that is posted to you (with FREE standard shipping worldwide)
All Certification is available to purchase through the Alison Shop. For more information on purchasing Alison Certification, please visit our faqs. If you decide not to purchase your Alison Certification, you can still demonstrate your achievement by sharing your Learner Record or Learner Achievement Verification, both of which are accessible from your Dashboard. For more details on our Certification pricing, please visit our Pricing Page.
2 years ago
Very good course, thorough and compelling
2 years ago
I enjoyed the course! Thank you!
2 years ago