Diploma in Media Studies
CertificationView course modules
The course begins by giving you an important overview of the most important controversies surrounding the field of media studies. You will then learn about the origins of print media, including newspapers, books and magazines, along with the immense impact they have had on culture. The course will then look at different music genres, the impact each genre of music has had on culture, trends in the music industry, and the impact which technology has had on the music industry.
Next, you will be introduced to the radio industry and how broadcast radio is adapting to technological changes. You will also look at the impact movies have had on culture throughout their history, along with the most important issues and trends which affect the movie industry. Finally, you will look at electronic games, the Internet, and social media. This will include key insights into the impact of globalization on culture and communication.
If you’ve ever thought about working in modern media, or just want to know more about the impact the media has on the world around you, this is the course for you. The course will guide you through the key developments of the modern media, along with the trends and challenges it faces today, so that you can gain a really strong understanding of how the field works and where you might be best placed within it. This is important and useful knowledge, both for your professional life and your political awareness as a citizen. So, try the course for yourself, and learn something interesting today.
Having completed this course you will be able to:
- Explain the different ways media affects culture;
- Identify the prominent media research methods;
- Explain some of the major objections to specific media theories;
- Discuss the role of the gatekeeper in mass media;
- Discuss the influence of tastemakers in traditional media;
- Identify the material and cultural origins of the book;
- Determine the benefits and drawbacks of digital libraries;
- Describe the historical roots of the modern newspaper industry;
- Describe the effect of objectivity on modern journalism;
- Describe how television has impacted journalistic styles;
- Explain the impact of advertisements on story;
- Assess the impact of technologies that changed the face of the music industry;
- Identify ways in which culture and music have influenced each other;
- Identify ways in which digital music sales have influenced the music industry;
- Identify the major technological changes in radio since its inception;
- Analyse radio as a form of mass media;
- Identify key developments of the motion picture industry and technology;
- Recognize how movies reflect cultural attitudes, trends, and events;
- Describe the effects of piracy on the movie industry;
- Identify ways in which television affects the development of culture;
- Identify the effect electronic games have on culture;
- Describe how video games can be used for educational purposes;
- Describe controversial issues related to modern video games;
- Identify ways the Internet has affected content delivery and viewing patterns;
- Explain the ways privacy has been addressed on the Internet;
- Describe the effects of globalization on culture;
- Identify the possible effects of news migrating to the Internet;
- Identify ways to identify credible sources online.
All Alison courses are free to enrol, study and complete. To successfully complete this Diploma course and become an Alison Graduate, you need to achieve 80% or higher in each course assessment. Once you have completed this Diploma course, you have the option to acquire official Certification, which is a great way to share your achievement with the world. Your Alison Certification is:
Ideal for sharing with potential employers - include it in your CV, professional social media profiles and job applications
An indication of your commitment to continuously learn, upskill and achieve high results
An incentive to you to continue empowering yourself through lifelong learning
Alison offers 3 types of Certification for completed Diploma courses:
Digital Diploma - a downloadable Diploma in PDF format, immediately available to you when you complete your purchase
Diploma - a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Diploma that is posted to you (with FREE standard shipping worldwide)
Framed Diploma - a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Diploma in a stylish frame that is posted to you (with FREE standard shipping worldwide)
All Certification is available to purchase through the Alison Shop. For more information on purchasing Alison Certification, please visit our faqs. If you decide not to purchase your Alison Certification, you can still demonstrate your achievement by sharing your Learner Record or Learner Achievement Verification, both of which are accessible from your Dashboard. For more details on our Certification pricing, please visit our Pricing Page.
one year ago
Very good course, thorough and compelling
2 years ago
I enjoyed the course! Thank you!
2 years ago