Strand 3 Leaving Certificate Higher Level Numbers and Shapes - Revised
This free online maths course looks at Numbers and Shapes, a central topic in the Leaving Certificate Paper.
Take this certificate on your own.
Start now and learn at your own pace.
CertificationView course modules
The concepts of number patterns are the basic building blocks that make up arithmetic and algebra. We cannot escape the use of numbers in our day to day lives. We use watches and clocks to count through the hours and minutes. We count out money for our bills and play the lottery by choosing six numbers.
The application of Geometric and Arithmetic series in finance is looked at through loan repayments and investments. The use of APR (annual percentage rate) and AER (annual equivelant rate) when calculating repayments is looked at. Students are then introduced to complex numbers and shown how to subtract, add, divide and multiply complex numbers.
Complex numbers represent the flow of current in circuits and they are also used in many other areas of electronics. We use numbers to measure the area and perimeter of various shapes (triangles, circles, hexagons and rectangles) and we also use them to work out the volumes of solids like cylinders, spheres, cones and hemi-spheres.Start Course Now
Having completed this course you will be able to:
- Identify how to write numbers in the standard form or scientific notation
- Discuss how to work with indices
- Calculate the equation for a quadratic number pattern
- Define the meaning of i and what imaginary number are
- Identify how to change the base of a logarithm
- Define what both an Arithmetic series and a Geometric series are
- Identify how to apply and use proof by Induction and proof by contradiction
- Discuss what percentage profit is and the differences between mark-up and margin profit
- Calculate the interest on a loan or investment
- Calculate the depreciation of value on items
- Identify the two methods for calculate the annual percentage rate
- Calculate the income tax, universal social charge, and PRSI on your paycheck
- Discuss working out the present value formula both for future values and present values
All Alison courses are free to enrol, study and complete. To successfully complete this Certificate course and become an Alison Graduate, you need to achieve 80% or higher in each course assessment. Once you have completed this Certificate course, you have the option to acquire official Certification, which is a great way to share your achievement with the world. Your Alison Certification is:
Ideal for sharing with potential employers - include it in your CV, professional social media profiles and job applications
An indication of your commitment to continuously learn, upskill and achieve high results
An incentive for you to continue empowering yourself through lifelong learning
Alison offers 3 types of Certification for completed Certificate courses:
Digital Certificate - a downloadable Certificate in PDF format, immediately available to you when you complete your purchase
Certificate - a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Certificate, posted to you with FREE shipping
Framed Certificate - a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Certificate in a stylish frame, posted to you with FREE shipping
All Certification is available to purchase through the Alison Shop. For more information on purchasing Alison Certification, please visit our faqs. If you decide not to purchase your Alison Certification, you can still demonstrate your achievement by sharing your Learner Record or Learner Achievement Verification, both of which are accessible from your Dashboard. For more details on our Certification pricing, please visit our Pricing Page.