CertificationView course modules
In this course you will learn how passive sentences differ from active sentences and what role verbs play. Passive expressions give information without referring to the source of that information. In passive sentences, we see what happens but who does it is not important. It is also used in formal written speech, whereas active speech is used more in conversations with people.
You will learn to compare active and passive sentences and practice examples in speech and writing. You will study verb forms using infinitive, auxiliary and model verbs. You will study the use of different tenses in active and passive forms. You will practice using the auxiliary verbs do, be and have in sentences.
Learn more about Alison's English Language Vertical.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Define the difference between active and passive sentences and give examples.
- Explain the various forms of verbs in Passive sentences and why verbs come after the object.
- Review how the form of the verb changes/does not change position in active and passive sentences.
- Describe the use of the past participle in passive sentences and give an example using the verb 'suppose'.
- Justify how we can have two objects with a verb in a passive sentence.
- Summarize how we can use the verb 'get' instead of 'be' in the Passive.
- Trace the use of the verb 'to get' in different expressions.
- Analyse how to have (something) done means you do not do it yourself and be able to give examples that mean the opposite.
All Alison courses are free to enrol, study and complete. To successfully complete this Certificate course and become an Alison Graduate, you need to achieve 80% or higher in each course assessment. Once you have completed this Certificate course, you have the option to acquire official Certification, which is a great way to share your achievement with the world. Your Alison Certification is:
Ideal for sharing with potential employers - include it in your CV, professional social media profiles and job applications
An indication of your commitment to continuously learn, upskill and achieve high results
An incentive for you to continue empowering yourself through lifelong learning
Alison offers 3 types of Certification for completed Certificate courses:
Digital Certificate - a downloadable Certificate in PDF format, immediately available to you when you complete your purchase
Certificate - a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Certificate, posted to you with FREE shipping
Framed Certificate - a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Certificate in a stylish frame, posted to you with FREE shipping
All Certification is available to purchase through the Alison Shop. For more information on purchasing Alison Certification, please visit our faqs. If you decide not to purchase your Alison Certification, you can still demonstrate your achievement by sharing your Learner Record or Learner Achievement Verification, both of which are accessible from your Dashboard. For more details on our Certification pricing, please visit our Pricing Page.