Diploma in Structural Dynamics for Civil Engineers - SDOF Systems
In this free online course, learn about the modelling and systems analysis involved in Structural Dynamics.
Take this certificate on your own.
Start now and learn at your own pace.
CertificationView course modules
In this free online Structural Dynamics for Civil Engineers course, you will be introduced to the world of structural dynamics, where you will explore the behavior of structures under varying or dynamic loads over time. Calculations, illustrations, discussions, examples and assessment questions in this video-based course, provide you with a comprehensive foundation in the subject.
The course begins by introducing you to the fundamentals of structural dynamics. You will then explore the differences between static and dynamic analysis and how to model a dynamic system. The course also teaches you about undamped free vibrations, damped free vibrations, coulomb damped free vibrations, forced vibrations, and vibrations under periodic forces. You will also learn about energy, damping, responses to arbitrary excitations, responses to pulse excitations and more.
This course will be of interest to students of structural dynamics and civil engineering and those looking to broaden their knowledge and skills in the industry. Start this course today and learn more about structural dynamics for Civil Engineers.Start Course Now
Structural Dynamics - Learning Outcomes
Introduction to Structural Dynamics
Modelling of Dynamic System
Undamped Free Vibrations
Damped Free Vibrations
Structural Dynamics - Lesson Summary
Forced Vibrations - Learning Outcomes
Coulomb Damped Free Vibrations
Forced Vibrations - Part I
Forced Vibrations - Part 2
Harmonic Vibration Examples
Forced Vibrations - Lesson Summary
Arbitrary Excitations - Learning Outcomes
Vibration Under Periodic Forces
Energy and Damping
Response to Arbitrary Excitations
Response to Pulse Excitations
Arbitrary Excitations - Lesson Summary
Having completed this course you will be able to:
- Differentiate between static analysis and dynamic analysis
- Explain the elements of a dynamic system and degrees of freedom
- Discuss undamped free vibrations, simple harmonic motion and amplitude
- Describe viscously damped free vibrations
- Summarise coulomb damped free vibrations
- Explain resonance, force transmission and vibration isolation
- Outline mass moment of inertia, initial displacement and natural frequency
- Describe the response of damped systems to periodic force
- List responses to arbitrary force and ramp force
- Discuss the response to rectangular pulse excitations and approximate analysis for short pulses
All Alison courses are free to study. To successfully complete a course you must score 80% or higher in each course assessments. Upon successful completion of a course, you can choose to make your achievement formal by purchasing an official Alison Diploma or Certificate.
Having an official Alison document is a great way to celebrate and share your success. It is:
- Ideal to include with CVs, job applications and portfolios
- A way to show your ability to learn and achieve high results