Computer Networking: Data Link Layer
This online data link network course covers computer networking in the data link layer of TCP/IP protocol stack.
Take this certificate on your own.
Start now and learn at your own pace.
CertificazioneView course modules
In this free online data link layer course, you are introduced to the world of computer networking particularly focusing on the data link layer. You will explore the two sub-layers of the data link layer, as well as the features of the Ethernet protocol and the flexibility that organizations get from using VLANs. Demonstrations, problems, examples, and assessment questions in this instructor-led video-based course, are designed to provide you with a comprehensive foundation, which will enable you to take serious steps into understanding this section of the protocol stack.
The data link layer protocols course begins by introducing you to the reasons why the data link layer is one of the predominant layers in the OSI TCP/IP protocol stack. Then the two sub-layers, which are the medium access control (MAC) layer and the logical link control (LLC) layer, are discussed to help you understand their uses in the network. You will explore the different ways of controlling access to a shared transmission medium and the collision detection process.
The data link protocols course includes topics on LLC services, LAN protocols, MAC frame format, Ethernet technologies, collision detection, error and flow control mechanisms, ARP operation, RARP packet format, VLAN tagging, and more. This data link protocols in computer networks course will be of interest to computer engineering students, networking and programming professionals, or those looking to enhance their career prospects in the computer networking industry. Start this course here today.Start Course Now
Data Link Layer
Data Link Layer - Learning Outcomes
Data Link Layer: Overview
Data Link Layer: Basic Concepts
Data Link Layer: Ethernet
Data Link Layer: Ethernet Frame
Data Link Layer: Flow and Error Control
Data Link Layer - Lesson Summary
Data Link Protocols
Data Link Protocols - Learning Outcomes
Address Resolution Protocol
RARP, BOOTP, and DHCP
Connecting LANs: VLAN
Data Link Protocols - Lesson Summary
Upon successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Explain the LLC services, Ethernet frame, flow and error control
- Discuss the communication model and network security policies
- Describe the LLC services and asynchronous MAC techniques
- Explain the generic MAC frame format and MAC protocols
- Discuss ethernet technologies, multiple access methods, and collision detection
- Describe the error and flow control mechanisms used in the data link layer
- Discuss the encapsulation of ARP packets and the BOOTP packet format
- Explain the DHCP exchanging messages and the RARP operation
- Describe VLAN tagging, connecting LANs with bridges and wireless LAN protocols
All Alison courses are free to study. To successfully complete a course you must score 80% or higher in each course assessments. Upon successful completion of a course, you can choose to make your achievement formal by purchasing an official Alison Diploma, Certificate or PDF.
Having an official Alison document is a great way to celebrate and share your success. It is:
- Ideal to include with CVs, job applications and portfolios
- A way to show your ability to learn and achieve high results