Ruby on Rails is a server-side web application framework and includes everything you need to create database-backed web applications. This course begins by introducing you to Ruby on Rails programming language, how it works and what the syntax for this programming language consists of.
The course teaches you object-orientated programming concepts, and you will learn about classes, methods and inheritance, which are the core building blocks of any object-orientated program.
Next, the course teaches you about Ruby on Rails syntax. You will learn how loops and conditional branching work; how to create methods and blocks, along with the correct syntax for writing these procedures in Ruby on Rails.
Finally, you will be introduced to the web application development framework. You will learn what the Model View Controller (MVC) architecture is, the main components found in the MVC and how the Ruby on Rails Framework works.
This course will be of great interest to all programmers who would like to learn how Ruby on Rails is used to develop modern web applications in an effective and efficient manner.
Prerequisites: The learner will need a basic understanding of web application development, and ideally, have completed Alison's courses on HTML. Knowledge of programming concepts would also be an advantage.
Having completed this course you will be able to:
- Identify the features of the Ruby programming language.
- Describe how to create a Ruby web app through the command line interface.
- Define what Object-Orientated programming is about.
- Discuss inheritance in programming
- Explain how to create a class and an object.
- Explain the difference in creating a method and a class method.
- Identify how to create a method in Ruby.
- Recognise the syntax for creating conditional branching statements.
- Recognise the different types of loops in Ruby.
- Explain what inclusive and exclusive ranges are.
- Explain what MVC (Model View Controller) architecture is.
- Describe how to change your database schema using Rails.
All Alison courses are free to study. To successfully complete a course you must score 80% or higher in each course assessments. Upon successful completion of a course, you can choose to make your achievement formal by purchasing an official Alison Diploma, Certificate or PDF.
Having an official Alison document is a great way to celebrate and share your success. It is:
- Ideal to include with CVs, job applications and portfolios
- A way to show your ability to learn and achieve high results