Sustainable Architecture: Selecting Sites and Materials
Learn about selecting sites, materials and resources for sustainable building in this architecture training course.
Take this certificate on your own.
Start now and learn at your own pace.
CertificationView course modules
This free online sustainable building materials course is about site selection and development for Sustainable Architecture. You will be shown how to select the correct materials and resources that are needed and how to deal with issues and concerns of large sites while meeting the various compliance requirements. You will also learn about the analysis and assessment of the site conditions based upon different parameters, followed by the strategies which should be employed for sustainable site development.
Next, you will learn about common issues and concerns of site development with an emphasis on the phenomenon of the Urban Heat Island and how to address it. You will also learn about the different properties to be considered while selecting the sustainable building materials and resources for construction materials and maintenance of sustainable buildings.
Finally, you will learn about solid waste management and the various compliance criteria for selecting, using and reusing different sustainable building materials in construction, as well as effective disposal of waste. Although largely addressed towards undergraduate students, all others who want to learn about sustainable building materials and green building concepts and who are planning to go ahead in the field of green building design and implementation, will greatly benefit from this course. Why wait, start this course today!Start Course Now
Sustainable Sites - Learning Outcomes
Site Development Strategies
Design Issues: Urban Heat Island
Large Site Development
Sustainable Sites - Lesson Summary
Materials and Resources
Materials and Resources - Learning Outcomes
Solid Waste Management
Waste Management: Technology and Compliance
Material Reuse in Construction
Recycled and Locally Sourced Material
Materials and Resources - Lesson Summary
Once you have completed this course, you should be able to:
- State the site selection criteria for sustainable development
- Identify the parameters for site assessment
- Describe the measures used to minimize disturbances to the site and its surroundings
- Discuss sustainability strategies for large site development
- Describe prevalent measures to mitigate effects such as the Urban Heat Island and Stormwater Runoff
- List the benefits of waste recycling
- Discuss the challenges of waste management
- Identify the compliance criteria for waste management and recycling
- Explain the strategies and technologies employed in treating different kinds of waste
- Select appropriate recycled and locally sourced materials for construction
All Alison courses are free to study. To successfully complete a course you must score 80% or higher in each course assessments. Upon successful completion of a course, you can choose to make your achievement formal by purchasing an official Alison Diploma, Certificate or PDF.
Having an official Alison document is a great way to celebrate and share your success. It is:
- Ideal to include with CVs, job applications and portfolios
- A way to show your ability to learn and achieve high results