An Introduction to Sustainable Architecture
In this Free online Course, you will learn about the principles of sustainable development and their use in architecture
Take this certificate on your own.
Start now and learn at your own pace.
CertificationView course modules
This free online course introduces you to Sustainable Architecture. It begins with explaining the need we have for building and how this need has evolved, resulting in the evolution of the structures we build. The course focuses on the natural laws of survival and change, and connects them with the problems of development. This will help you to understand the concept of Sustainability and Sustainable Architecture.
You will be presented with multiple definitions and models of Sustainability through the historical events that led to the evolution of the concept as it is understood today. You will then learn about the concept of Sustainable Development through the works of several visionaries and pioneers, who clearly saw the impact of development on the global environment.
As building and construction are an integral part of development, this course will help you understand how the building sector impacts the environment and how Sustainable Architecture can help mitigate the adverse environmental impacts of development. Although largely addressed towards undergraduate students, all others who want to learn about sustainable and green building concepts and who are planning to go ahead in the field of green building design and implementation, will greatly benefit from this course. Why wait, start this course today!Start Course Now
Introduction to Sustainable Architecture
Sustainable Development - Learning Outcomes
Introduction to Sustainability
Buildings, Needs and 'Sustainability'
Sustainability and Sustainable Development
Historic Origins of Sustainability
Pioneers of Sustainable Development
Sustainable Development - Lesson Summary
Sustainable Architecture and Environmental Impact
Environmental Impact of Development - Learning Outcomes
Impacts on Water
Impacts on Land and Air
Social and Economic Impacts of Development
Agenda 21 and UN Goals
Established Needs for Sustainability in Building Sector
Environmental Impact of Development - Lesson Summary
Once you have completed this course, you should be able to:
- Recognize the rules of nature that govern sustainability
- Outline the objectives of building construction and connect them to the needs of society and people
- Describe the different models of sustainability
- Discuss the events in history that led to the concept of sustainability as we understand it today
- Evaluate the major impacts of built environment on land and air
- Indicate the causes and solutions of desertification
- Define an Urban Heat Island
- Explain the impacts of the built environment with the current social and economic trends
- Discuss the outcomes of the Rio Earth Summit of 1992
- Explain how sustainability in the building sector can help to meet the Sustainable Development Goals
All Alison courses are free to study. To successfully complete a course you must score 80% or higher in each course assessments. Upon successful completion of a course, you can choose to make your achievement formal by purchasing an official Alison Diploma, Certificate or PDF.
Having an official Alison document is a great way to celebrate and share your success. It is:
- Ideal to include with CVs, job applications and portfolios
- A way to show your ability to learn and achieve high results