1.1. These are the terms and conditions governing the use of https://alison.com, (the Website) and the agreement that operates between us and you (the Terms). The Website is owned and operated by Alison (us/our/we) and these Terms set out the rights and obligations of all users (you/your) in relation to your use of the Website. Please read carefully these Terms and our Privacy Statement. By using the Website you are consenting to be bound by the then current Terms and our Privacy Statement. We may revise the Terms and information contained on the Website at any time and without notice. If you do not agree to these Terms or the Privacy Statement, please refrain from using the Website.
1.2. If you have any questions about the Terms or the Privacy Statement, please contact us at Alison, Level One Building, Galway Technology Park, Parkmore, Galway, Ireland.
2.1. The material contained within the courses on the Website is provided without any guarantees, conditions or warranties as to its accuracy. Alison does not represent that information contained on or available via the Website is accurate or complete and accordingly it should not be relied on as such. You should not rely on any such information. Any arrangements made between you and any other person, using or named on the Website are entirely at your sole risk and responsibility.
2.2. To the extent permitted by law, we, and third parties connected to us hereby expressly exclude:
- 2.2.1. all conditions, warranties and other terms which might otherwise be implied by statute, common law or the law of equity;
- 2.2.2. any liability for loss or damage incurred by any user in connection with the use, inability to use, or results of the use of the Website, any websites linked to it and any material posted on it;
- 2.2.3. any liability for any bugs or faults in our systems or tools; and
- 2.2.4. any liability for any direct, special, indirect or consequential loss or damage incurred by any user in connection with the Website or in connection with the use, inability to use, or results of the use of the Website, any websites linked to it and any materials posted on it, including, without limitation any liability for:
- loss of income or revenue;
- loss of business;
- loss of profits or contracts;
- loss of anticipated savings;
- loss of data;
- loss of goodwill;
- wasted management or office time; and
- for any other loss or damage of any kind, however arising and whether caused by tort (including negligence), breach of contract or otherwise, even if foreseeable.
2.3. Nothing in this section affects our liability for death or personal injury arising from our negligence, nor our liability for fraudulent misrepresentation or misrepresentation as to a fundamental matter, nor any other liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
Table of Contents
- Information You Provide to Us Directly
- Information We Collect through Automated Means
- Cookies and Data Collection Tools
- Online Advertising
- Our Policy Concerning Children
- How We Use the Information We Collect
- When and How We Share/Disclose Your Information with Third Parties
- How Do We Keep Your Information Secure
- Your Choices Regarding the Use of Your Information
- How Do You Access & Update Your Information
- How to Delete Your Account and What Happens When Your Account Is Terminated or Deleted
- International Operations: A Note to Users Outside of the U.S. and the EU
- Your California Privacy Rights
1. Information You Provide to Us Directly
Alison may collect different information from or about You depending on the manner in which You use the Services. The following examples are provided to help You better understand the information We may collect through Your use of the Services.
Please note, Alison is not responsible for how others use information that is publicly available or otherwise accessible to others who have access to the Services.
When You sign up for and use the Services (including through a Third Party Platform) We will collect any information You provide to Us directly such as the following:
In order to use certain features of the Services, such as registering for a Course, You are required to register for an Account, and in that case, We will collect and store any registration information You provided to Us, such as e-mail address, password, Your date of birth, and age, and we will assign You a unique identifying number (“Registration Information”).
You may also have the option of providing additional information about Yourself, including but not limited to a photo, headline, website link, social media profiles, or other information you may choose to enter ("Profile Information") to create a profile ("Profile"). Your Profile and Profile Information will be publicly viewable to others.
Public Posting / Shared Content:
Some of the Services may allow You to interact with other Users and/or post, share, communicate or otherwise transmit content publicly, such as by posting comments in a Course page, sending messages to others, submitting testimonials or posting photos (collectively "Shared Content" or "Public Posting"). We may collect and store Public Postings and Shared Content. Shared Content or Public Postings may be publicly available or viewable by others depending on where such content is posted.
You hereby grant Alison a non-exclusive right and license to reproduce, distribute, publicly perform, offer, market and otherwise use and exploit the Public Postings and Shared Content.
In the event that You are selected as "Learner of the Day" or "Learner of the Month", You agree to Our publishing of your Registration Information (except for your email address), Profile Information, and Course Information as well as your response to the accolade for marketing purposes and/or via Our Services.
Alison allows You to enroll in and take online Courses on a variety of topics which are taught by Publishers where, among other things, You will see reviews for Courses by others. We collect information relating to taking Courses, including, without limitation, topic, course and assessment completion activity and other items submitted to satisfy the Course requirements, ("Course Information").
You hereby consent to Our sharing of Registration Information (except for your email address), Profile Information, and Course Information to Publishers. Alison does not provide Students’ email addresses to Publishers. Alison does not control how Publishers treat Registration Information, Profile Information, or Course Information and is not liable for Publishers’ use of such information.
If You make any purchases through our Services, such as for Certificates, We may collect certain information regarding Your purchase (such as Your name and address) as necessary to process Your order. You will be required to provide certain payment and billing information directly to our payment processing partners, including but not limited to Your name, credit card information, billing address and zip code. We do not access, store or collect Your credit card information.
Information Received Through Your Third Party Platform:
The Services may contain third party links or allow You to access the Services through Third Party Platforms, such as Facebook. If You use Our Services on or through a Third Party Platform, including via any any mobile and/or other Internet connected devices (“Wireless Devices”), or click on third party links, the collection, use, and disclosure of Your information and Your use of the Services will also be subject to the privacy policies and other terms of such third parties or Third Party Platforms. You should review such privacy policies, terms, and other agreements.
By way of example only, We may collect some or all of the following information from Your Third Party Platform account when You register or use the Services on or through a Third Party Platform:
- Your full name
- Your profile picture or its URL
- Your ID Number, which is linked to publicly available information such as Your name and profile photo
- The login e-mail address
- Your physical location and that of Your access devices, including any Wireless Device
- Your gender
- Your birthday
- List of friends or contacts
You may choose not to allow the Third Party Platform to provide Us with certain information about You, but You might not be able to use certain features of Our Services if You enable such restrictions.
Sweepstakes, promotions, and Surveys:
Communications, Support Requests, Potential Abuse:
2. Information We Collect Through Automated Means
Technical and Usage Data
When You access the Services, including browsing Our Courses, We collect certain information by automated means. This information may include without limitation:
- technical information about Your computer or Wireless Device, such as Your IP address, device type, operating system type and version, unique device ID, browser, browser language, domain and other systems information, platform types (collectively, “Technical Information”);
- usage statistics about Your interaction with the Services, including Courses accessed, time spent on pages or the Services, pages visited, search queries, click data, portions of the Services used, date and time, and other information regarding Your use of the Services (collectively, “Usage Data”).
This Technical Information and Usage Data, which may be linked to Your information, is collected through the use of server log files and tracking technologies, including:
- cookies, which are small files that websites send to Your computer or Wireless Device to uniquely identify Your browser or mobile device or to store information in Your browser setting;
- web beacons, which are small objects that allow Us to measure the actions of visitors using the Services.
3. Cookies and Data Collection Tools
- analyze the usage of our Services;
- provide a more personalized experience;
- allow You to more easily login to use our Services;
- help make Your use of Our Services more efficient and more valuable by providing You with a customized experience and recognizing You when You return.
We may also employ web beacons or other technology for a variety of reasons such as:
- allowing Us to know if a certain page was visited or whether an e-mail was opened;
- allowing Us to advertise more efficiently by excluding our current Users from certain promotional messages or identifying the source of a new installation.
Alison uses the following types of cookies:
Preferences. We use preferences cookies to remember information about Your browser and how You prefer to use Our Service, i.e. to remember Your preferred settings that affect the experience of how Our Services look to You or behave when You access and/or use them, such as Your preferred language. Preference cookies make Your experience of interacting with Our Services more functional and customized to suit Your preferences.
Security. We use security cookies to enable You to log-in and access Our Service, to protect Your Account against fraudulent log-ins by others, and help detect, fight, and protect against abuse or unauthorised usage of Your Account.
Functional. We use functional cookies to make the experience of using Our Services better, like remembering the volume at which You like Your videos to play.
Session State. We use session cookies to collect information about how You interact with Our Services, to help Us improve Our Services, as well as improve Your browsing experience. We also use session cookies to remember Your log-in details and to be able to process Your purchases of Courses. These are deemed strictly necessary to the working of the Services. If these are disabled, then various functionalities of our Services will be broken.
We may use third-party browser and mobile analytics services on our Service, including but not limited to Google Analytics and Hotjar. These service providers use the sort of technology described above to help us analyze how users use the Services, including by noting the third-party website from which you arrive, how often You use the Services, the events that occur within the Service, usage data, performance data, and where the application was downloaded from.
The information collected will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers, and We use this information to improve the Services, to better understand the functionality of the Services on a computer or other device, and to provide information that may be of interest to You.
For instance, Hotjar generates heatmaps of user experiences and records, on a deidentified basis, information about your activity, such as mouse clicks, mouse movements, scrolling activity as well as certain text You type in the Services such as searches for Courses.
You have some choices concerning our use of these analytics. For instance, to prevent Google Analytics from using your information for analytics, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on by clicking here; to opt out of Hotjar’s use of Your information for analytics click here.
5. Online Advertising
We may use third-party advertising technologies that allow for the delivery of advertising about our Services on other websites You visit and other applications You use. The ads may be based on various factors such as the content of the page You are visiting, information You enter such as Your age and gender, Your searches, demographic data, user-generated content, and other information we collect from You. These ads may be based on Your current activity or Your activity over time and across other websites and online services and may be tailored to Your interests.
We use third parties (e.g., ad networks and ad servers such as Google Analytics, DoubleClick and others) to help deliver these tailored advertising on other websites and in mobile applications. These third parties may place cookies or other tracking technologies on Your computer, mobile phone, or other device to collect information about Your use of the Services as discussed above and may access these cookies or other tracking technologies on Your computer, mobile phone, or other device You use to access the Services in order to serve these tailored advertisement. We also may share with third-party advertisers a hashed version of Your email address that is anonymized and cannot be used to identify you, solely in non-human readable form and content that You share publicly when using the services (e.g, user-generated content) for purposes of delivering tailored advertising.
When using a mobile application you may also receive tailored in-application advertisements. Each operating system, iOS for Apple phones, Android for Android devices and Windows for Microsoft devices provides its own instructions on how to prevent the delivery of tailored in-application advertisements. You may review the support materials and/or the privacy settings for the respective operating systems in order to opt-out of tailored in-application advertisements. For any other devices and/or operating systems, please visit the privacy settings for the applicable device or contact the applicable platform operator.
Please note that to the extent advertising technology is integrated into the Services, You may still receive advertisements on other websites and mobile applications even if You opt-out. In that case, the advertising will not be tailored to Your interests. Also, we do not control any of the above opt-out links or whether any particular company chooses to participate in these opt-out programs. We are not responsible for any choices You make using these mechanisms or the continued availability or accuracy of these mechanisms.
6. Our Policy Concerning Children
We recognize the privacy interests of children and We encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children's online activities and interests. Children under the age of 13, or 16 if such children resides in the European Economic Area, should not use or attempt to use Our Services. If We learn that We have collected personal information (as defined by applicable law) from a child under 13 or a child under 16 in the European Economic Area, We will take reasonable steps delete such information.
Parents who believe that Alison might have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13 may submit a request to [email protected] and request that the information be removed.
7. How We Use the Information We Collect
Alison may use the information We collect through Your use of the Services to:
- Provide, administer, and facilitate Your use of the Services, including to display customized content;
- Process or fulfill Your request(s) and/or order(s) for certificates, products, services, information or features;
- Communicate with You concerning Your Account by:
- Responding to Your questions or concerns;
- Emailing You information or providing in app messages about Your progress in Courses, rewards programs, new services, new features, promotions, newsletters, and other available Courses, which You can opt out of at any time;
- Sending push notifications to Your Wireless device to provide updates and other relevant messages. You can manage push notifications from the "options" or "settings" page for the mobile application.
- Understand and improve the Services and develop new products, services or features;
- Enable User-to- User communication and interaction;
- Manage Your Account preferences, establish Your Profile and Registration Information;
- Facilitate the technical functioning of the Services, including without limitation to troubleshoot and resolve issues, secure the Services; and prevent fraud and abuse;
- Respond to customer support questions and issues and resolve disputes;
- Create, review, analyze and share Technical Information;
- Analyze trends and User traffic, track purchases and usage information;
- Advertise our Services on third party websites or mobile applications;
- Market, process or fulfill Promotions administered or sponsored by Alison;
- Solicit feedback from Users;
- As required or permitted by law;
- As We, in Our sole discretion, otherwise determine to be necessary or required to ensure the safety and/or integrity of Our Users, employees, third parties, members of the public, and/or our Services;
- Identify unique users across devices; or
- Tailor advertisements across devices.
8. When and How We May Share/Disclose Your Information with Third Parties
About You with the Publisher:
We may share Course Information, topic, course and assessment completion activity, and certain Registration Information (except for your email address) and Profile Information with Publishers of the Courses in which You enroll or for which You request information. We will not share Your email address with Publishers.
Third Party Business Partners, Service Providers, Contractors or Agents
We may share Your information with third party companies that perform services on Our behalf, including for payment processing, order fulfillment, data analysis, marketing services, advertising services (including but not limited to retargeted advertising), e-mail and hosting services, and customer services and support. An example of these third party companies includes, but is not limited to Stripe. These third party service providers may access Your personal information, and are required to use it solely as directed by Us for the purpose of Our requested service.
We may also share Your information with third party companies that we partner with to provide certain services to You in connection with the Services. Those partners’ collection and use of information is subject to their privacy policies and other terms. You should review such privacy policies, terms, and other agreements.
About You with other Users
As mentioned above your Profile Information may be publicly viewable, including to other Users.
Analytics and Data Enrichment Services
As discussed above, We use third-party analytics such as Google Analytics and Hotjar to help understand Your usage of our services and to improve our Service. We may provide Your contact information, Registration Information, Technical Information, Usage Data, or de-identified data or to data enrichment services to such third party analytics and data enrichment service providers, which match such information with publicly available database information, including contact and social information from other sources, such as Your email address, gender, company, job title, photos, website URLs, social network handles and physical addresses. We use this combined information to communicate with You in a more effective and customized manner.
Business Transfers, Sales, Mergers, or Divestitures
In the event that Alison undergoes a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition, corporate divestiture or dissolution (including bankruptcy), or a sale of all or a portion of its assets, We may share, disclose or transfer all of Your information to the successor organization in such transition or during steps in contemplation of such activities (e.g., due diligence).
With Your Permission
Aggregate or De-identified Information
We may disclose or use aggregate or de-identified information for any purpose.
We may share Your information in connection with any Promotion You enter on or through the Services, as necessary to administer, market, sponsor, or fulfill the Promotion or as required by applicable laws, rules or regulations (for example, to provide winners' lists or make required filings as appropriate) or in accordance with the applicable rules of the Promotion. We may share Your information with a third party assisting us in administering the Promotion.
Advertising of Third Party Products/Services
We may use and share with third party advertisers (and other third parties) certain Technical Information, Usage Information and/or Aggregate Information to show general demographic and preference information among our Users. We may also allow advertisers to collect Technical Information or Aggregate Information, which they may share with Us, through the use of tracking technologies like cookies and web beacons. The information collected may be used to offer You targeted ad-selection and delivery in order to personalize Your User experience by increasing the likelihood that advertisements for products and services You see will appeal to You, a practice known as behavioral advertising, and to undertake web analytics (i.e. to analyze traffic and other end User activity to improve Your experience).
These third parties include ad servers, ad agencies, technology vendors, providers of sponsored content, research firms, and other companies that help us provide more effective advertising. Because your browser, app, or device communicates with the third party’s servers, these companies can collect information, including your IP address, page header information, browser or device information, just as if you had requested their webpage or used their apps directly. These companies may collect information to deliver you customized ads on both Alison and non-Alison websites, applications, and services.
- Ad Supply
- Adara Media
- AdJuggler Inc
- Affiliate Window
- Aggregate Knowledge
- Audience Science
- Authenticated Digital
- Batch Media
- Big Mobile
- Blue Kai
- Bridge Track
- C3 Metrics
- Casale Media
- Catho Online Ltda
- Clinch Labs
- Cog Research
- Cognitive Match
- Collective Media
- Conversion Logic
- Coremetrics, Inc.
- Crisp Media
- DBA Gamut
- Digital Control
- Digital Flow
- Direct Response Media
- Effective Measure
- Emma Solutions
- Engage BDR
- ESV Digital
- Extreme Reach
- EyeView Digital
- Factor TG/Symphony AM
- Federated Sample
- Fuisz Media
- Goldspot Media
- GroupM Server
- GWIQ Audience Analytics
- Hiro Media
- Hitpath (WebApps)
- I Behavior KBMG
- Impact Radius
- Improve Digital
- Integral Ad Science
- Interactive Sports (C.I) Ltd
- Interpolls Network
- Invite Media
- Kantar Worldpanel
- Legolas Media
- Marchex Sales
- Markit On Demand
- Maxpoint Interactive
- Media Armor
- Millward Brown Digital
- Mixpo Inc
- Mobile 5
- MP Newmedia
- Navegg USA
- Next Audience
- Next Performance
- NexTag, Inc.
- Nielsen OCR
- Ninth Decimal
- O2 Telefonica
- Okra Media
- On Device Research
- PaperG, Inc.
- Parship Greatviews
- PK4 Media Video - XPS Video
- Platform 161
- Plista GmbH
- Procter & Gamble
- Project Sunblock
- Quarter Media
- Radium One
- Rakuten Attribution
- Republic Project
- Research Now
- Rich Relevance
- RichMedia Studio
- Rocket Fuel
- Roi Media Part e Propaganda Ltda
- Rubicon Project
- Session M
- Skenzo (Media.net)
- SMART AdServer
- Soho Media
- Spark Flow
- Specific Media
- Speedshift Media
- TapIt Media Group
- Target Performance
- The ADEX
- The Cobalt Group
- The Trade Desk
- Trend Research
- Turn Inc.
- Underdog Media
- Unicast (Viewpoint)
- Varick Media Mangement
- Vindico Group
- Visible Measures
- Visual IQ
- Vizury Brasil
- White Ops
Some of these companies participate in industry-developed programs designed to provide consumers with choices about whether to receive interest-based ads. To learn more about behavioral advertising or to opt-out of this type of advertising for participating ad networks, You can visit the websites of the regional self-regulatory bodies listed in the Section 5 above.
We may use and share with third party advertisers (and other third parties) certain Technical Information, Usage Information and/or Aggregate Information to show general demographic and preference information among our Users. We may also allow advertisers to collect Technical Information or Aggregate Information, which they may share with Us, through the use of tracking technologies like cookies and web beacons. The information collected may be used to offer You targeted ad-selection and delivery in order to personalize Your User experience by increasing the likelihood that advertisements for products and services You see will appeal to You, a practice known as behavioral advertising, and to undertake web analytics (i.e. to analyze traffic and other end User activity to improve Your experience). To learn more about behavioral advertising or to opt-out of this type of advertising for participating ad networks, You can visit the Network Advertising Initiative website. If You are located in the European Union and would like to opt- out, please visit this page. Please note this does not opt You out of being served ads. You will continue to receive generic ads. We do not control the above opt-out tools and are not responsible for their operation or which companies choose to participate in these programs.
Social Media Features
Safety, Security, Cooperation with Law Enforcement, & Compliance with Legal Obligations
We may disclose Your information to third parties, if We, in our sole discretion, have a good faith belief that disclosure is:
- permitted or required by law;
- requested in connection with or relevant to a judicial, governmental or legal inquiry, investigation, order, or proceeding;
- required or reasonably necessary pursuant to a valid subpoena, warrant or other legally valid inquiry or request;
- required to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, abuse, misuse, potential violations of law (or rule/regulation), and/or security or technical issues;
- equired or reasonably necessary in Our discretion to protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of Alison, Our Users, employees, members of the public and/or our Services.
We may also disclose information about You to Our auditors or legal advisors in conjunction with accessing Our disclosure obligations and/or rights under this Policy.
9. How Do We Keep Your Information Secure?
Alison takes appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to, or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of, data that You share and We collect and store. These measures vary based on the sensitivity of the data we collect and store. Unfortunately, however, no system can be 100% secured, and We cannot guarantee that communications between You and Alison, the Services, or any information provided to Us in connection with the information We collect through the Services will be free from unauthorized access by third parties. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors may compromise the security of User information at any time. Your password is an important component of Our security system. As such, it is Your responsibility to protect it. Do not share Your password with any third parties. If Your password has been compromised for any reason, You should change it immediately and contact [email protected] with any concerns.
10. Your Choices Regarding the Use of Your Information
You can always choose not to provide certain information to Us but You may not be able to use certain features of the Services. If You do not wish to receive promotional communications from Us, You can opt-out by:
- following the unsubscribe instructions provided in the promotional communication You receive;
- managing Your e-mail preferences by signing into Your Account, clicking on the Dashboard link under the Your Profile button in the site header, and changing the Alison Email option to No.
Please note that despite Your opt-out choice or indicated email preferences, We will still send You transactional and/or relationship messages regarding the Services, including, for example, administrative confirmations, order confirmation, important updates regarding the Services, and notices regarding our policies.
The browser You use may provide You with the ability to control cookies or other types of local data storage. Your Wireless Device may provide You with choices around how and whether location or other data is collected and shared. Alison does not control these choices, or default settings, which are offered by makers of Your browser or mobile device operating system.
To prevent Google Analytics from using Your information for analytics, You may install the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on by clicking here. To opt out of Hotjar’s use of Your information for analytics click here.
You may also have other choices as described in the Advertising of Third Party Products/Services section.
If You have any questions about Your information, our use of this information, or Your rights when it comes to any of the foregoing, contact us at [email protected].
11. How to Access & Update Your Information
You may access and update Your information that Alison collects and maintains in the following ways:
You may update the information You provide directly to Alison by logging into Your Account and updating Your Account information at any time. You may also submit any requests for access to Your personal data to [email protected] or in writing to Attn Privacy/Legal Alison, Level One Building, Block 7/8, Galway Technology Park, Parkmore, Galway H91 E309, Ireland. Please allow up to thirty (30) days for a response.
12. How to Delete Your Account and what Happens when Your Account is Terminated or Deleted
Deactivating Your Account
If You are a Learner, and wish to delete Your Learner Account, You may do so by contacting Us via email at [email protected]. We will make commercially reasonable efforts to respond to Your request within 48 hours.
Account Terminated or Deleted
Please be aware that even after Your Account is terminated or deleted some or all of Your information may still remain visible to others, including but not limited to any information that has been:
- incorporated into others User's content, comments, postings, submissions, including but not limited to Course comments;
- copied, stored or disseminated by other Users;
- shared or disseminated by You or others such as in a Public Posting;
- posted on a Third Party Platform.
Termination of Your Account will not result in the removal of information collected and already put in aggregate form or information that cannot, in Our sole discretion, be removed without undue burden to Alison. Alison is not able and/or obligated to remove any of Your information from a Third Party Platform.
14. International Operations: A Note to Users Outside Of the U.S. and the EU
Alison stores information about visitors to Our Services and Users on servers located in the United States. By using our Services, you consent to storage of Your information inside the United States. If You are using the Services from outside the United States and the European Union, please know the data and personal information You submit will be transferred to and stored in servers in the United States or other countries. The data protection and other laws of the United States and/or other countries might not be as comprehensive as those in Your country. By submitting Your data and/or using Our Services, You consent to the transfer, storing, and processing of Your data in and to the United States.
Personal data collected within Switzerland and the European Economic Area ("EEA") may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside of Switzerland and the European Economic Area ("EEA"). The data We hold may also be processed by employees operating outside of Switzerland and the EEA who work for Us or one of our affiliates or for one of Our vendors. Such staff may be engaged in, among other things:
- the processing of transactions and Your payment details;
- the provision of support services.
By submitting Your personal data or engaging in Alison Courses, You agree to this transfer, storing or processing.
15. Your California Privacy Rights
California residents have the right to receive, once a year from Us:
- information identifying any third party company(ies) to whom Alison may have disclosed (within the previous calendar year) Your personal information for that company's direct marketing purposes;
- a description of the categories of personal information disclosed.
If You are a California resident and wish to obtain such information, submit a request to Us at [email protected]; when you request the information, use the phrase “California Shine the Light Request” to help us appropriately identify your question, and include your mailing address, state of residence and email address so we can provide a response.
Alison Cookies Policy
Effective Date: May 17, 2018
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files placed onto your computer or device as you browse the Internet. Cookies can be used to collect, store and share bits of information about your activities across websites and services, including on Alison. They also allow us to remember things about your visit to Alison, such as your preferred language and other choices/settings and generally make the site easier for you to use.
Alison uses both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie is used to identify a particular visit to Alison. These cookies expire after a short time, or when you close your web browser after using Alison. We use these cookies to identify you during a single browsing session, such as when you log into Alison. A persistent cookie will remain on your devices for a set period of time specified in the cookie. We use these cookies where we need to identify you over a longer period of time. For example, we would use a persistent cookie if you asked that we keep you signed in.
Authentication and security:
- To log you into Alison;
- To protect your security;
- To help us detect and fight spam, abuse, and other activities that violate Alison’s agreements and terms.
For example, these technologies help authenticate your access to Alison and prevent unauthorized parties from accessing your accounts.
- To remember information about your browser and your preferences;
- To remember your settings and other choices you have made.
For example, cookies help us remember your preferred language or the country that you are in. We can then provide you with content in your preferred language without having to ask you each time you visit Alison.
Analytics and research:
- To help us improve and understand how people use Alison.
For example, cookies help us test different versions of Alison to see which particular features or content users prefer. We may include web beacons in e-mail messages or newsletters to determine whether the message has been opened and for other analytics. We might also optimize and improve your experience on Alison by using cookies to see how you interact with Alison, such as when and how often you use them and what links you click on.
We don’t release the information collected from our own cookies to any third parties, other than to our service providers who assist us in these activities.
- To customize Alison with more relevant content.
- To provide you with more relevant advertising.
For more information about targeting and advertising cookies and how you can opt out, you can visit youronlinechoices.eu or allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/index.html. Please note that to the extent advertising technology is integrated into Alison, you may still receive advertising content even if you opt-out of tailored advertising. In that case, the advertising content will just not be tailored to your interests. Also, we do not control any of the above opt-out links and are not responsible for any choices you make using these mechanisms or the continued availability or accuracy of these mechanisms.
When accessing Alison from a mobile application, you may also receive tailored in-application advertisements. Each operating system, such as iOS and Android, provides its own instructions on how to prevent the delivery of tailored in-application advertisements. You may review the support materials and/or the privacy settings for the respective operating systems in order to opt-out of tailored in-application advertisements. For any other devices and/or operating systems, please visit the privacy settings for the applicable device or operating system or contact the applicable platform operator.
What are my privacy options?
- Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can modify your browser setting to decline cookies by visiting the Help portion of your browser’s toolbar. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in, customize, or use some of the interactive features of Alison.
- Flash cookies operate differently than browser cookies, and cookie management tools available in a web browser will not remove flash cookies. To learn more about how to manage flash cookies, you can visit the Adobe website and make changes at the Global Privacy Settings Panel.
- For general information about cookies and how to disable them, please visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Changes to this Policy
We will notify you of any changes by posting the new Policy on Alison with a new effective date. If we make a material change to this Policy, we will take reasonable steps to notify you in advance of the planned change.
4.1. Users have a requirement to treat other learners with respect.
4.2. Users must not make any comments towards other users or Alison staff/administrators that:
- 4.2.1. Contain any material which is defamatory of any other person;
- 4.2.2. Breach the data protection or privacy rights of any person;
- 4.2.3. Contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory;
- 4.2.4. Promote sexually explicit material;
- 4.2.5. Promote violence;
- 4.2.6. Promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- 4.2.7. Infringe any patent, copyright, database right, trademark or other intellectual property right of any other person;
- 4.2.8. Is likely to deceive any other person;
- 4.2.9. Is made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
- 4.2.10. Promote any illegal activity;
- 4.2.11. Is threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;
- 4.2.12. Is likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
- 4.2.13. Is used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person;
- 4.2.14. Gives the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or
- 4.2.15. Advocates, promotes or assists any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
5. Limits of Use
5.1. You may use our Website only for lawful purposes. You may not use our Website:
- 5.1.1. In any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation;
- 5.1.2. In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect;
- 5.1.3. To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which does not comply with our [content standards];
- 5.1.4. To download any content from courses;
- 5.1.5. To transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
5.2. You also agree:
- 5.2.1. Not to reproduce, duplicate, copy or re-sell any part of our website in contravention of the provisions of these Terms;
- 5.2.2. Not to use ad-blocking software;
- 5.2.3. Not to charge others for the use of Alison unless in specific written agreement with Alison;
- 5.2.4. Not to reuse text or graphics from the Website or parts thereof.
We retain discretion to deactivate your account and access to the Website services at any time for any reason whatsoever at our absolute discretion.
You can deactivate your account at any time, but Alison shall maintain course tracking history in our database.
7. Use of Data
7.1. We use information held about you in the following ways:
- 7.1.1. To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- 7.1.2. To use it in data analytics and transfer to our operated systems for this purposes;
- 7.1.3. To provide you with information that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes;
- 7.1.4. To conduct marketing analysis;
- 7.1.5. In the event that you are selected as "Learner of the Day" or "Learner of the Month", you agree to your details and responses being used in Alison marketing on Alison community pages; and
- 7.1.6. When a learner submits a testimonial or comment, they give permission for Alison to use that on the Alison website, community and in marketing material.
9.1. You will defend, indemnify and hold harmless us, our affiliates and our officers, directors, employees and agents from and against any and all claims, liabilities, damages, losses or expenses, including reasonable legal costs, arising out of or in any way connected with any breach by you of these General Terms and Conditions.
Product Terms and Conditions
Study Groups Terms & Conditions (Study Groups is a free LMS to manage groups of learners, with some paid add on services) The following are the Terms and Conditions associated with the use of Study Groups:
- Free services may be changed to paid services at the discretion of Alison. In such event service will remain free for user until end of current annual renewal and no longer.
- There will be no refund on early termination of paid add on services. It is at the discretion of Alison as to whether a discount may be given on changed add on service.
- Alison will have no liability for lost data, tracking or unavailable site or services.
- Messaging as part of the study group service shall not be used to intimidate, abuse, insult learners.
- Users will be liable to indemnify Alison from liability for any intimidation or experienced from Study Group admin or other learners.
- Alison may suspend without refund any user/group admin without exception who is found to be intimidating any other user of on Alison, any user sending profanities.
- Learners may not be charged for taking learning as part of a Study Group, either directly or indirectly.
- Fair usage of Alison Study Groups is assumed, and where a user is causing a disproportionate draw on Alison systems a Study Group may be suspended or withdrawn.
- Users may not use profanity in Study Group naming.
- Once a user is added to a Study Group that is a single user license used up, removal of the user does not create a new user license.
- Once a training course is added to a Study Group that is a single course license used up, removal of the course does not create a new course license.
- A learner registering on Alison as part of an Alison Study Group is separately a member of the Alison Free Learning Community. The instigator of the registration has no rights to the learner with regards to the usage of the site or otherwise.
- All General Terms and Conditions (above) are also agreed to.
Refer A Friend
These terms and conditions (“Terms”) apply to Alison’s Refer a Friend programme (“Programme”). By referring a friend, acting on a referral, using the Programme, or otherwise participating in the Programme, the referring user and/or referred friend agree to be bound by these Terms.
The individual who was issued a RAF unique link by Alison will be considered to be the "Referring User" for all Qualified Referrals made using that RAF unique link.
To be eligible for rewards through the RAF, a Referring User must have a Confirmed Alison account.
The Referring User can share their RAF unique link on social media accounts, email or any other form of communication available to them.
To obtain a referral reward, the Referring User must refer a Qualified Referred Friend.
To be considered a Qualified Referred Friend, the Referred Friend cannot have previously registered on Alison
Referring Users will receive a reward associated with the Programme once three (3) Qualified Referred Friends register successfully on Alison using the unique referral link associated to their account, and each Qualified Referred Friend completes a course on Alison within thirty (30) days of their registration.
A Referring User will not receive a reward if their referrals: are not considered Qualified Friends for any reason, (including if the Referred Friend does not satisfy the requirements to be considered a Qualified Friend); do not register on Alison using your unique referral link; do not complete a course within thirty (30) days of registering on Alison
Referring Users will be notified by email within 24 hours of becoming eligible for their reward.
The Stats Page can be used by Referring Users to keep track of their Qualified Referred Friends progress. Please note: the Stats Page can take up to 24 hours to refresh with updated progress.
A Referring User should honour all requests to stop referrals or communications about the Programme.
A Referring User should not engage in any misleading, deceptive, annoying, or harassing practices with respect to referrals or Programme communications.
A Qualified Referred Friend will receive a reward associated with the programme on successful registration on Alison when they use the referral link sent to them by a Referring User. A Referred Friend is only entitled to receive one (1) reward as a Referred Friend.
The rewards associated with the Programme are not cash and cannot be exchanged for cash.
Offer not valid and rewards are not payable for self-referrals and fraudulent transactions. Alison reserves the right to stop any user from using our services who we believe is using a referral campaign in an unethical manner.
- Alison uses analytical tools to assess whether a Referred User is attempting to abuse the Programme by creating fake multiple new email addresses and Alison accounts by themselves (and not through Qualified Referred Friends) simply to claim the rewards associated with the Programme. This automatically sets off an alarm within our systems and may cause the Referred User to be disqualified from the Programme, and their Alison account suspended or terminated. Alison reserves the right to make a final decision in this regard.
- Alison uses analytical tools to assess whether a Referred Friend has completed a course in the appropriate time. If a Referred Friend 'speed completes' an Alison course to completion, this automatically sets off an alarm within our systems and may cause the Referred Friend to be disqualified from the Programme. Alison reserves the right to make a final decision in this regard.
Spam and the use of Purchased or harvested lists is prohibited and will result in immediate termination of the Referring User’s account and deactivation of RAF links.
Alison reserves the right to cancel, alter, amend, suspend, withdraw or terminate the Refer A Friend Programme or to change these terms and conditions at any time at its sole discretion.
This Refer A Friend (RAF) offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
The Programme and these terms and conditions will be governed by Irish Law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the Republic of Ireland (Ireland).