TOPIC 5 Fabrication and Design of Components - Lesson Summary
Elements of a Mechatronics-based System: Electrical, electronics, mechanism and machinery, hydraulic and pneumatic elements, and software.
Selection parameters for choosing mechanical components: Cost, reliability, item's product life cycle, mechanical specifications, environmental factors, extreme weather conditions, electrical functionality, and electrical energy required for the element to function.
Performance Terms of a transducer in a Measurement System
Accuracy: The closeness of the agreement between the actual measurement result and a true value of the measurand. Often expressed as a percentage of a full range output
Sensitivity: Ratio of change in the output value of a sensor to per unit change in input value that causes output change
Repeatability: Describes the ability to give the same output for repeated applications of the same input value
Stability: Ability to give the same output when used to measure a constant input over a period of time
Dead band/time: Length of time from the application of input until output begins to respond and change
- Non-linearity error: Indicates the maximum deviation of the actual measured curved of a sensor from the ideal curve.
- Hysteresis is the error of a sensor defined as the maximum difference in output at any measurement value within the sensor's specified range when approaching the point first with increasing and then with decreasing the input parameter.
- The Design Process is involved in the development stage of the product life cycle. Is divided in Synthesis and Analysis activities. The first ones focus on the philosophy, functionality, and uniqueness of the product. The second group of activities are responsible for converting the conceptual design into a model using engineering science.
- 2D/3D Models show the appearance of the desired product but do not work. Is commonly used for visualization of the product in an early stage of development.
- A prototype is the working model of the actual product used for performance evaluation and further improvements of the product before starting production.
- CAD generates production drawings capable of explaining the specification of an outcome to further make representations of 3D objects on a 2D plane. Also, CAE (Computer-aided Engineering) analysis helps to understand the parameters and proper optimization of a product.
- Manufacturing processes use to fabricate electro-mechanical elements are casting, forming, rolling, and forging
- Manufacturing joining process utilized to join metal and/or themoplastics Welding, Soldering and Brazing
- Generative manufacturing is the collective term for additive processes that rapidly manufacture 3D models, prototypes, tools, and final products from 3D data sets. In doing so, formless materials, such as liquids or powders, are added on top of or next to each other layer by layer.
Log in to save your progress and obtain a certificate in Alison’s free Understanding Fabrication and Sensors in Automated Systems online course
Sign up to save your progress and obtain a certificate in Alison’s free Understanding Fabrication and Sensors in Automated Systems online course
Please enter you email address and we will mail you a link to reset your password.