The main points from this module are as follows:
- The function of a power protection devices is to sense the fault in a power system network
- The purpose of switchgear is to isolate the faulty section from the whole power system network without affecting the healthy section
- The requirements of a Protective System are selectivity, speed, sensitivity, discrimination, stability, reliability, and economics.
- Relays are classified according to the quantities given to the relay, their construction, sensing quantities, their function in the protective scheme, components, and devices used, and the characteristic they adopt.
- The various types of relays in the historical development of relays are electromechanical relays, microprocessor-based relays, digital relays, adaptive relays, and intelligent electronic devices (IED).
Log in to save your progress and obtain a certificate in Alison’s free Introduction to Power System Protection online course
Sign up to save your progress and obtain a certificate in Alison’s free Introduction to Power System Protection online course
Please enter you email address and we will mail you a link to reset your password.