After completing this module you will be able to:
• Identify why there is a need for a respiratory system in the human body.
• Identify the differences between breathing and respiration.
• Describe the structure and function of the human trunk.
• Identify the differences between the thoracic cavity and the abdominopelvic cavity.
• Identify what is breathing and how it is accomplished.
• Describe the terms “total lung capacity”, “residual volume” and “vital capacity”.
• Identify and describe the different breathing cycles.
• Describe the structure of the rib cage.
• Describe costal inhalation.
• Describe costal exhalation.
• Describe the physical characteristics of the abdominopelvic cavity.
• Describe the thoracic diaphragm.
• Describe diaphragmatic inhalation.
• Describe diaphragmatic exhalation.