What is an EMS?
An Environmental Management System (EMS), is a collaborative and systematic approach to effectively managing environmental risks.
EMS helps companies to improve their environmental performance continually. In addition, EMS provides a framework for companies to comply with environmental ordinances, regulations, state laws and compliance obligations.
EMS systems direct organizations in the following ways:
1. Identify environmental aspects and impacts
2. Examine the risks associated with aspects and impacts
3. Establish controls to minimize environmental impacts
4. Define goals for the achievement of environmental performance
5. Create a plan to achieve goals
6. Monitor performance against goals and targets
7. Report results
8. Review results and continually improve