Health and Human Development - Understanding the dietary needs of the
Understanding the dietary needs of the individual
Nutrient needs vary in individuals according to:
* the amount of growth that is occurring. Prenatal growth and the period
of infancy are the most rapid periods for growth, though relative size is
very small. Adolescence is the second most rapid period of growth
* the level of physical activity. Highly active individuals will use up
more energy for everyday activity than those who lead a more sedentary life
Click here for the summary of growth across the life span table
When looking at the nutrient needs of an individual you should consider:
* what physiological changes are taking place in the individual?
* what are the particular nutrient needs of that individual?
* which nutrients are most significant at this stage of the life span and
for the sex of this individual?
Previous | Next