Chemistry - The role of water
The role of water
In addition to the proteins, fats and carbohydrates in our diets, mineral
elements, vitamins, and water are also essential.
* Mineral elements are elements, other than C, H, O, and N that are found
as part of compounds in living organisms.
* Some have well known functions e.g. the link between calcium and
healthy bones, the link between lack of iron and anaemia. The active sites
 of many enzymes  include one or more mineral elements. An important
role of mineral elements is in maintaining a healthy nervous system,
especially through electrolyte levels and balances in the blood.
* Like mineral elements, vitamins have no energy value.
* Vitamins are important in controlling various aspects of the body's
metabolism but are not produced in our bodies and must be provided in our
* Some vitamins such as vitamin C (ascorbic acid) which is present in
fruits, green vegetables and potatoes, may have a preservative role.
Ascorbic acid acts as an antioxidant.
Previous | Next