Biology - Reproductive isolation
How could a behavioural mechanism, such as the courtship display of
these wild turkeys, lead to reproductive isolation?
Reproductive isolation can occur as a result of a number of mechanisms.
* seas, mountain barriers, deserts, ice sheets;
* genitalia may not 'fit';
* courtship rituals, signs and signals are specific, triggering a
response only in members of the opposite sex of the same species;
* pheromones are specific, gametes must be chemically compatible for
fertilisation to take place;
* closely related species may live in the same major habitat but in
different micro-habitats within it;
* related species may have different breeding seasons.
Previous | Next