Biology - Proteins
A protein molecule (simplified representation).
* made up of the elements CHON
* large complex molecules composed of sub-units (monomers) called amino
* only 20 amino acids out of 100 are used in protein synthesis
* huge numbers of proteins can be formed from amino acids depending on
how they are put together (sequencing and type of bonding)
* examples of proteins are enzymes, haemoglobin, insulin, keratin (hair,
nails), hormones, antibodies and collagen
Fingernails are made largely of keratin (a protein).
Previous | Next