Introduction to Teaching English as a Second Language
English is the international language of business and opens up many opportunities to non-native speakers. Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) instructors provide a valuable service to immigrants in English-speaking countries.
This free online course introduces the essential learning theories and practices needed to be a TESL instructor. The course details the needs of adult ESL learners, the learning styles of students, and how to facilitate intercultural communication in the classroom. Following this, it describes the activities and exercises that increase student comprehension of the English language. Finally it explains how to prepare for and conduct a lesson including creating a lesson plan, classroom management, and conducting tests.
This free online course is ideal for fluent English speakers who wish to teach the English language in an English-speaking country. It will also be of interest to people who are considering teaching English as a foreign language or anyone who wants to know more about teaching and learning theories.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Describe adult learning theories and utilise these theories in an ESL lesson;
- Explain and utilise language teaching methods in ESL instruction;
- Describe the five stages of Second Language Acquisition and facilitate these stages in ESL lessons;
- Explain and employ ESL classroom management strategies;
- Create effective ESL lesson plans;
- Deliver ESL grammar lessons that meet the needs of ESL learners;
- Create effective assessments that meet required standards of validity and reliability;
All Alison courses are free to study. To successfully complete a course you must score 80% or higher in each course assessments. Upon successful completion of a course, you can choose to make your achievement formal by purchasing an official Alison Diploma, Certificate or PDF.
Having an official Alison document is a great way to celebrate and share your success. It is:
- Ideal to include with CVs, job applications and portfolios
- A way to show your ability to learn and achieve high results
Lista de Módulos( 4 )
INTRODUCTION TO TEACHING ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGU...
Module 1: The Learner
Module 2: Student Comprehension
Module 3: Teaching and Assessing
END OF COURSE ASSESSMENT
Module 4: Teaching English as a Second Language Assessment
You must score 80% or more to pass this assessment.
Introduction to TESL Assessment