Starting a new course can be daunting as we can often doubt our ability and skills in learning. Fortunately, learning can be improved by the development of new personal study skills and practices. This free online course gives you the opportunity to understand how to learn effectively, teaches the fundamental skills necessary to improve your learning and performance and helps you to achieve both academic and personal success. The topics covered include key skills in learning, good academic practise and how to find information. You will also focus on developing your reading and thinking skills which are vital in any course of study. This course is ideal for preparing prospective students for life as a student and for life-long learners working in businesses and organisations.
Upon completion of this course you will know the most effective techniques to help you learn. This will motivate you when revising for exams and you will know how to manage your time more efficiently.You will be able to identify the main framework for learning effectively to improve your learning and performance. You will be able to study effectively through better communication, information technology and problem-solving skills. You will know the importance of good academic practice when finding and using information.You will know the best study methods when reading large amounts of information.
All Alison courses are free to study. To successfully complete a course you must score 80% or higher in each course assessments. Upon successful completion of a course, you can choose to make your achievement formal by purchasing an official Alison Diploma, Certificate or PDF.
Having an official Alison document is a great way to share your success. Plus it’s:
- Ideal for including in CVs, job applications and portfolios
- An indication of your ability to learn and achieve high results
- An incentive to continue to empower yourself through learning
- A tangible way of supporting the Alison mission to empower people everywhere through education.
Smarter Learning - Improve Your Study Skills and Practices
Modules List( 8 )
SMARTER LEARNING - IMPROVE YOUR STUDY SKILLS AND P...
1 Learning How to Learn
- Thinking about your learning
- Learning how to learn – Preparing and exploring
- Learning how to learn – Implementing and reviewing
- Revision and exams
- Working Life and Learning
- Time Management Part 1: Procrastination
- Time Management Part 2: Tips and suggestions
Extra course material for Module 1 View Resource
2 Key Skills in Learning
- What are key skills ?
- The key skills framework
- Improving own learning and performance: Part 1
- Improving own learning and performance: Part 2
- Information technology
- Application of number
- Problem solving
- Working with others
- Understanding reading
- How quickly should you read
- Active reading
- Reading critically
- Making the ideas your own
- Reading evidence
4 Finding and Using Information
- Finding and using information – rate yourself
- Searching for information on education
- Evaluating education information on the internet
- Organising your information
- Keeping up to date
5 Developing Good Academic Practice
- What is good academic practice?
- Writing in your own words
- Collaboration versus collusion
- Common knowledge
- Why do students plagiarise?
6 Learning to Change
- Learning to change - Introduction
- You and your learning: Part 1
- You and your learning: Part 2
- Getting feedback from other people
- Theories of learning
- An action plan
- What might help and hinder you
7 Extending and Developing Your Thinking Skills
- Developing your thinking skills - Introduction
- Different kinds of thinking
- A thinking disposition and the process of development
- Other people
- Giving structure to thinking
- Analysis, argument and critical thinking
8 End of Course Assessment
- Learning how to learn quiz