Algebra is one of the strands of the new Project Maths Course in the Irish curriculum. It is the lifeblood and the natural language of Mathematics and provides a perfect link between number, geometry, trigonometry and functions. It would be impossible to formulate and solve real-world problems without algebraic notation. Students are first introduced to representing numbers with letters and then they are taught how to convert problems into algebraic equations which can be solved by means of well-known techniques. Students are taught how to solve simultaneous, quadratic and cubic equations and then extend their knowledge to the solution of inequalities. Searching for roots by trial and error and the use of synthetic division is also covered in this strand.
After completing this course students will understand and be skilled in the following Algebra topics:
- Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division of Expressions;
- Factorisation of Expressions;
- Word Problems leading to Simultaneous and Quadratic Equations;
- Equations involving fractions;
- Solutions of Linear Inequalities.
All Alison courses are free to study. To successfully complete a course you must score 80% or higher in each course assessments. Upon successful completion of a course, you can choose to make your achievement formal by purchasing an official Alison Diploma, Certificate or PDF.
Having an official Alison document is a great way to share your success. Plus it’s:
- Ideal for including in CVs, job applications and portfolios
- An indication of your ability to learn and achieve high results
- An incentive to continue to empower yourself through learning
- A tangible way of supporting the Alison mission to empower people everywhere through education.
Junior Certificate Strand 4 - Ordinary Level - Algebra
Modules List( 2 )
JUNIOR CERTIFICATE STRAND 4 - ORDINARY LEVEL - ALG...
1 Junior Certificate Strand 4 - Ordinary Level - Algebra
Learn more about algebra for the Irish Junior Certificate examination.
- Rearranging Simple Formulae
- Rearranging Simple Formulae – 2 Steps
- Expanding Any Two Brackets
- Factorising Quadratics
- Factorising – Difference of Two Squares
- Equations With Linear Functions in the Denominator
- Quadratic Equations Both Brackets the Same Sign
- Quadratic Equations Brackets With Different Signs
- Quadratic Equations Using the Formula
- Use of the Discriminant
- Equations with Indices
- Solving Simultaneous Equations Graphically
- Simultaneous Equations - Both Negative Signs
- Simultaneous Equations - Negative and Positive Signs
- Simultaneous Equations - Both Positive
- Solving Linear Inequalities with Fractions
END OF COURSE ASSESSMENT
Junior Certificate Strand 4 - Ordinary Level - Algebra Assessment
You must score 80% or more to pass this assessment.
- Junior Certificate Strand 4 - Ordinary Level - Algebra Assessment