Computer programming skills are now becoming part of basic education as these skills are increasingly of vital importance for future job and career prospects. This free online course introduces you to the core components of programming using the Python programming language which is one of the most popular programming languages worldwide. The course shows you how to use the free open-source PyScripter IDE for Python to write basic programs using concepts such as functions, variables, If Else statements, For loops, While loops, iterative and recursive programs and algorithms such as the Insertion Sort algorithm.
This course will be of great interest to all learners who would like to gain a thorough knowledge and understanding of the basic components of computer programming using the Python language – and might be a gentle introduction to programming for those who think they might have a longer term interest in the subject area.
- How to use the PyScripter IDE for the Python programming language;
- How to create a function;
- How to implement an If Else statement;
- How to use variables in For loops and While loops;
- Iterative and recursive programs;
- Algorithms such as the Insertion Sort algorithm;
All Alison courses are free to study. To successfully complete a course you must score 80% or higher in each course assessments. Upon successful completion of a course, you can choose to make your achievement formal by purchasing an official Alison Diploma, Certificate or PDF.
Having an official Alison document is a great way to share your success. Plus it’s:
- Ideal for including in CVs, job applications and portfolios
- An indication of your ability to learn and achieve high results
- An incentive to continue to empower yourself through learning
- A tangible way of supporting the Alison mission to empower people everywhere through education.
Introduction to Programming with Python
Modules List( 2 )
INTRODUCTION TO PROGRAMMING WITH PYTHON
1 Introduction to Programming with Python
In this module learn about the basics of computer programming using the Python programming language.
- Introduction to Programs Data Types and Variables
- Binary Numbers
- Python Lists
- For Loops in Python
- While Loops in Python
- Fun with Strings
- Writing a Simple Factorial Program using Python 2
- Stepping Through the Factorial Program
- Flowchart for the Factorial Program
- Python 3 Not Backwards Compatible with Python 2
- Defining a Factorial Function
- Diagramming What Happens with a Function Call
- Recursive Factorial Function
- Comparing Iterative and Recursive Factorial Functions
- Exercise - Write a Fibonacci Function
- Iterative Fibonacci Function Example
- Stepping Through Iterative Fibonacci Function
- Recursive Fibonacci Example
- Stepping Through Recursive Fibonacci Function
- Exercise - Write a Sorting Function
- Insertion Sort Algorithm
- Insertion Sort in Python
- Stepping Through Insertion Sort Function
- Simpler Insertion Sort Function
END OF COURSE ASSESSMENT
2 Programming with Python Assessment
You must score 80% or more to pass this assessment.
- Programming Assessment