Sign-up today to join over 8 million learners already on ALISON:
Study Skills Course
The free online course Study Skills provides detailed information on a variety of techniques you can use to greatly improve your study skills. The course also has advice on how you can identify and overcome common study problems, how you can manage your study workload and how you can develop good time management skills. The course begins by showing you how learning occurs most effectively in a cycle of four steps: Preparing, Absorbing, Capturing and Reviewing. Goal setting and planning ahead are also covered as well as the best ways to stay focused and motivated to reach your study goals. You will also learn about strategies for managing, prioritizing and dealing with time. Next, you will learn about learning strategies such as the process of storing and retrieving information, the use of mnemonics for memorizing lists and data, and the most effective ways to ask questions either in a classroom setting or in an online forum. The four main methods and formats of note taking are explained. You will also learn about the critical thinking process such as asking the right questions to understand a problem and considering the value of research material and deciding how to use it. You will learn effective strategies for studying online e-learning courses, and how you can stay motivated to successfully complete online courses. You will learn about the process of active reading, and the strategies used to engage with text-based materials. You will also learn about how to review and evaluate different types of texts with a particular focus on the methods used with math and science based material. Exam situations are also covered, explaining the different types of tests, how to combat test anxiety and how study groups can give you new perspectives on material and help you fill in gaps in your notes. Finally, you are introduced to the methods of academic writing such as how to produce a first draft and review it for errors, and how to present it in a professional format. The three stages in the writing process are explained: Preparing, Writing the draft and Revising and editing. You will also learn how writing skills are transferable and can be used in the classroom, in online courses or in exam situations. This course will be of great interest to learners studying a wide range of subjects as it will help you develop and implement very effective study skills that will increase your confidence and performance.
To qualify for your official ALISON Diploma, Certificate or PDF you must study and complete all modules and score 80% or more in each of the course assessments. A link to purchase your Diploma certificate will then appear under the My Certificates heading of your My Account page.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Explain learning styles and recognize learning preferences;
- Practice time management strategies;
- Explain the skills necessary to succeed at online learning;
- Prepare for listening in class and taking notes;
- Use and explain the four primary methods of note taking;
- Explain the difference between short and long term memory;
- Use a variety of strategies to build memory power;
- Explain the importance of reading for learning;
- Define the four steps of active learning;
- Develop strategies to help you read effectively and quickly;
- Develop strategies to apply when taking tests and quizzes;
- Explain the writing process;
- Develop productive pre-writing and revision strategies;
- Distinguish between revision and editing;
- Explain the demands of specific writing situations, such as writing essays or writing in an online class.
Share This Course!