Sign-up today to join over 9 million learners already on ALISON:
Diploma in Occupational Hygiene
The free online course Diploma in Occupational Hygiene introduces you to the basic principles associated with occupational hygiene such as the fundamentals of toxicology, human physiology and industrial diseases, and hygiene standards.
With the increase of industrial activity, more and more employees are becoming exposed to hazards in the workplace. It is important to know how to monitor and assess different hazards to ensure their health and safety.
The course begins by introducing you to human physiology and industrial diseases. You will study different organs of the body and how each can be affected by chemical and physical hazards. You will then learn about the fundamentals of toxicology and hazardous substances, and about chemical and biological hazards and the diseases that can arise from these hazards.
You will learn about measuring airborne contamination and the main sampling techniques and equipment that are used to obtain a quantitative estimate of the exposure to substances hazardous. You will learn about the different types of hygiene standards for chemical agents, physical agents, and biological exposure indices, and the importance of health surveillance in the workplace.
Next, you will be introduced to physical hazards in the workplace such as noise, vibration, heat/cold and lighting. You will learn about the effects of excessive exposure to these and how to evaluate and control excessive exposure to them in the workplace.
This free Diploma course will be of great interest to professionals working in occupational hygiene, health and safety, and workplace safety. It will also be of interest to all learners who are interested in a career in occupational hygiene or related areas.
To qualify for your official ALISON Diploma, Certificate or PDF you must study and complete all modules and score 80% or more in each of the course assessments. A link to purchase your Diploma certificate will then appear under the My Certificates heading of your My Account page.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Explain the functions of occupational hygiene.
- Describe the three main routes of entry of toxins into the body.
- Identify examples of hazardous substances.
- Explain the process of assessing health risks.
- Describe the general features of a Local Exhaust Ventilation (LEV) system.
- Describe the types of air cleaning devices.
- List the three physical states of matter.
- Define the process for sampling airborne particulates, gases, and vapours.
- List the purpose of health surveillance.
- Explain the three main categories of biological agents and the differences between them.
- Explain the psychological responses to the thermal environment.
- List the various types of non-ionising and ionising radiation.
- Explain how occupational hygiene affects your personal development.
Share This Course!