Sign-up today to join over 9 million learners already on ALISON:
Diploma in Media Studies
This free online Diploma in Media Studies introduces you to the theories of modern media studies. This course begins by introducing you to the evolution of both media and culture over time, before examining mass media and popular culture. You will look at the development of convergence and established cultural values. You will also gain insight into researching media, and examine some controversies surrounding the field.
The course then introduces you to print media such as books, newspapers and magazines. You will learn about the historical origins of each of these, and how they have evolved over the last century. You will also examine the impact which books, newspapers and magazines have had upon culture, the trends and the issues which affect these media types.
You will look at different music genres, the impact each genre of music has had on culture, trends in the music industry, and the impact which technology has had upon the music industry. You will be introduced to the radio industry and how broadcast radio has evolved and is adapting to technological advances. You will also look at the impact which movies have had upon culture throughout their history. This course will also teach you to examine some of the issues and trends which have been prevalent in the movie industry.
Finally, you will look at electronic games, the Internet, and social media. The historical origins of each will be discussed, and the controversial issues which surround some of their content. You will look at the blurring of the boundaries between games and other types of media. You will look at the evolution of the Internet and gain insight into social media and Web 2.0, and the impact of globalization on culture and communication.
This free online course will be of great interest to professionals working in the areas of media or culture, and would like to learn more about the field. It will also be of interest to learners would like to learn more about entertainment and broadcast media.
To qualify for your official ALISON Diploma, Certificate or PDF you must study and complete all modules and score 80% or more in each of the course assessments. A link to purchase your Diploma certificate will then appear under the My Certificates heading of your My Account page.
Having completed this course you will be able to:
- Explain the different ways media affects culture.
- Identify the prominent media research methods.
- Explain some of the major objections to specific media theories.
- Discuss the role of the gatekeeper in mass media.
- Discuss the influence of tastemakers in traditional media.
- Identify the material and cultural origins of the book.
- Determine the benefits and drawbacks of digital libraries.
- Describe the historical roots of the modern newspaper industry.
- Describe the effect of objectivity on modern journalism.
- Describe how television has impacted journalistic styles.
- Explain the impact of advertisements on story.
- Assess the impact of technologies that changed the face of the music industry.
- Identify ways in which culture and music have influenced each other.
- Identify ways in which digital music sales have influenced the music industry.
- Identify the major technological changes in radio since its inception.
- Analyse radio as a form of mass media.
- Identify key developments of the motion picture industry and technology.
- Recognize how movies reflect cultural attitudes, trends, and events.
- Describe the effects of piracy on the movie industry.
- Identify ways in which television affects the development of culture.
- Identify the effect electronic games have on culture.
- Describe how video games can be used for educational purposes.
- Describe controversial issues related to modern video games.
- Identify ways the Internet has affected content delivery and viewing patterns.
- Explain the ways privacy has been addressed on the Internet.
- Describe the effects of globalization on culture.
- Identify the possible effects of news migrating to the Internet.
- Identify ways to identify credible sources online.
Share This Course!