Sign-up today to join over 6 million learners already on ALISON:
Introduction to the Learning Process for Teachers and Trainers Course
Learn more about the learning process.
For teachers and trainers to fulfil their instructional role most effectively, their teaching methods must be grounded in educational learning theory. Understanding the learning process is a key element of educational learning theory and provides a framework for teachers and trainers to plan, create and deliver effective lessons, and assess each student's learning. In this free online education course, you will be introduced to the learning process. The course begins by differentiating between teaching and learning, and by describing teachers’ and trainers’ perspectives on learning. The course provides details about two major learning theories: behaviourism and constructivism. Within the section on Behaviourism, operant conditioning and its implications for teaching are examined in detail. The section on Constructivism compares and contrasts two subtypes of constructivism: psychological constructivism and social constructivism. Finally, the implications of constructivism for teaching are discussed using two practical strategies. This free online education course will be of great interest to professionals in the education sector who would like a greater knowledge and understanding of the learning process that will enhance their teaching and training, and to all students who are interested in the process of how we learn.
To qualify for your official ALISON Diploma, Certificate or PDF you must study and complete all modules and score 80% or more in each of the course assessments. A link to purchase your Diploma certificate will then appear under the My Certificates heading of your My Account page.
- Describe the process of learning in terms of educational learning theory;
- Differentiate between the two major learning theories: behaviourism and constructivism;
- Compare and contrast the two subtypes of constructivism: psychological constructivism and social constructivism;
- Identify various psychologists, philosophers and researchers associated with educational learning theory;
- Provide everyday examples of operant conditioning and strategies for constructivist style teaching;
Share This Course!