Sign-up today to join over 9 million learners already on ALISON:
Introduction to the Chinese Language - First Contact Course
An introduction to the Chinese language.
Mandarin Chinese is spoken by up to one billion people within China and among the Chinese diaspora. With the continuing economic and political rise of China it is becoming increasingly important to learn even the basics of this ancient language. In this free online Chinese language course you will be introduced to the basic elements of spoken Mandarin Chinese. The course starts with a brief overview of the language, its dialects and a brief look at pronunciation through the use of Pinyin. For learners whose native languages use the Roman or Latin alphabets it is critical that you become familiar with Pinyin which is used to transcribe Chinese sounds into the Roman or Latin alphabet you are accustomed to. This course follows the typical path when learning how to greet people and introduce yourself, say what you do and where you are from in a new language. Words and phrases are presented via audio, Chinese script, Pinyin and English to facilitate learning. The content is also broken down into key terms and vocabulary. The video clips are accompanied by a transcript and translation with key cultural and grammatical points being highlighted and explained in the attached resource files. This free online Chinese language course will be of great interest to anybody wanting to travel to China, either as a tourist or in a professional capacity, business people who have regular contact with Chinese colleagues and for any learner who has an interest in speaking or reading Chinese.
To qualify for your official ALISON Diploma, Certificate or PDF you must study and complete all modules and score 80% or more in each of the course assessments. A link to purchase your Diploma certificate will then appear under the My Certificates heading of your My Account page.
Having studied this course learner will be able to:
- Understand the basic dialects and prevalence to the Chinese language;
- Become familiar with the basics of pronunciation of Mandarin Chinese through the use of Pinyin;
- Understand how Pinyin is used to transcribe Chinese sounds into the Roman alphabet;
- Gain a core knowledge of the core sounds in spoken Chinese, the sound of the 6 Chinese vowels (also known as finals) and the sound the 36 Chinese consonants (known as initials);
- Gain a core vocabulary of phases and words allowing you meet and greet people.
Share This Course!