Sign-up today to join over 6 million learners already on ALISON:
Introduction to Immunology Course
Immunology is the study of the immune system. This free online course explains how the human immune system fights disease and infection. This course is taught through a series of narrated videos. These videos include illustrations to increase your comprehension of the material. The first section of this course explains the non-specific immune system. Following this, the role of B-cells and T-cells in the specific immune system is explained. The final section of the course explains the symptoms and causes of the inflammatory response. The course is suitable for biology or medicine students that wish to increase their understanding of immunology. It is also suitable for anyone who wants to learn more about the workings of the immune system.
To qualify for your official ALISON Diploma, Certificate or PDF you must study and complete all modules and score 80% or more in each of the course assessments. A link to purchase your Diploma certificate will then appear under the My Certificates heading of your My Account page.
At the end of this course the learner will be able to:
- State the role of the immune system in the human body;
- Describe the function of phagocytes in the non-specific immune system;
- Define the role of B-lymphocytes in the humoral response;
- Describe professional antigen presenting cells and define their purpose;
- Define the major histocompatibility complexes (MHCs) type 1 and 2 and explain their functions;
- Explain how T-cells aid in eliminating pathogens from the body;
- List the symptoms of the inflammatory response and explain their causes;
Share This Course!