Sign-up today to join over 6 million learners already on ALISON:
Diploma in Tourism Studies
Tourism is a major global industry worth over one trillion dollars in revenue annually and it is an important part of the economies of many countries and regions around the world. With huge markets such as China yet to reach its full potential, the tourism industry will continue to grow in importance. The first part of the course describes the formation of the tourist industry as well as outlining its sectors and employment opportunities. The next part of the course explains the needs of both business and pleasure travellers. Following this, the ways that tourism businesses/destinations can market themselves effectively is described. The final section explains how the travel industry packages and sells tourism products through retail and online channels. This free Diploma course will be of great interest to all tourism professionals who would like to learn more about the growth and importance of the tourism industry. It will also be of great interest to all learners who are interested in a career in the tourism sector.
To qualify for your official ALISON Diploma, Certificate or PDF you must study and complete all modules and score 80% or more in each of the course assessments. A link to purchase your Diploma certificate will then appear under the My Certificates heading of your My Account page.
After completing this course the learner will be able to:
- Describe how historic travel patterns led to the formation of the modern tourist industry;
- Outline the sectors of the tourist industry and the employment and career opportunities it offers;
- List the main priorities of business and pleasure travelers and the ways in which travel destinations can appeal to both groups;
- Explain how travel destinations and tourism businesses can effectively market and promote themselves;
- Describe the role of tour wholesalers, travel agencies and online travel services in packaging and selling tourism products.
Share This Course!