This free course aims to provide healthcare line managers and department heads with an introduction to managing occupational health and safety. The full course consists of six modules and is suitable for all healthcare settings.
This module, Module 1, introduces you to the principle health and safety legislation in Ireland and the concept of risk assessment and management in a healthcare setting. It guides you through the steps in the risk assessment process including how to identify hazards at work, assess the risk and identify control measures. It can be studied as a stand alone module or as part of the full course.
Module 1 is split into three topics
- Topic 1: Legislation
- Topic 2: Identifying Hazards & Risk Assessment, and
- Topic 3: General Principles of Prevention.
Please note that the module is intended as an overview and may need to be supplemented by more specific training and / or specialised advice.
At the end of this module you should be able to:
- identify the main requirements of the Safety, Health and Welfare Act
- list the four main categories of hazards in healthcare settings
- describe the risk assessment process, and
- apply the General Principles of Prevention in your workplace.
All Alison courses are free to study. To successfully complete a course you must score 80% or higher in each course assessments. Upon successful completion of a course, you can choose to make your achievement formal by purchasing an official Alison Diploma, Certificate or PDF.
Having an official Alison document is a great way to share your success. Plus it’s:
- Ideal for including in CVs, job applications and portfolios
- An indication of your ability to learn and achieve high results
- An incentive to continue to empower yourself through learning
- A tangible way of supporting the Alison mission to empower people everywhere through education.
Managing Health and Safety in Healthcare - Legislation and Risk Assessment
Health and Safety Authority
Modules List( 1 )
1 Managing Health and Safety in Healthcare - Legislation and Risk Assessment
This course presents learners with an outline of the principal law covering safety and health at work and introduces you to the process of risk assessment and prevention. The content is suitable across all healthcare settings and provides concise practical strategies for everyday use.
- Module Outline (Introduction)
- Topic 1: Legislation
- Topic 2: Identifying Hazards & Risk Assessment
- Topic 3: General Principles of Prevention
- Summary and Assessment