A financial instrument is a tradable asset of any kind and they are a key component of the modern financial market system as they allow for efficient flow of capital through the global financial marketplace. In this free online course you will learn how financial institutions package and trade mortgage backed securities in financial markets and how collateralized debt obligations function. You will also learn about credit default swaps and interest rate swaps and their role in financial trading. This course will be of great interest to professionals in the areas of finance, investments and economics and who like to learn more about the function and use of financial instruments, and to all learners who are interested in how financial instruments help the global financial marketplace function.
Having completed this course the learner will be able to:
- Describe how mortgages are packaged into mortgage-backed securities;
- Describe how financial institutions divide mortgage-backed securities into tranches;
- Describe how collateralized debt obligations function;
- Define credit default swaps and their role in the market;
- Define interest rate swaps and their role in the market
All Alison courses are free to study. To successfully complete a course you must score 80% or higher in each course assessments. Upon successful completion of a course, you can choose to make your achievement formal by purchasing an official Alison Diploma, Certificate or PDF.
Having an official Alison document is a great way to share your success. Plus it’s:
- Ideal for including in CVs, job applications and portfolios
- An indication of your ability to learn and achieve high results
- An incentive to continue to empower yourself through learning
- A tangible way of supporting the Alison mission to empower people everywhere through education.
Introduction to Financial Instruments in Economics
Modules List( 2 )
INTRODUCTION TO FINANCIAL INSTRUMENTS IN ECONOMICS...
1 Introduction to Financial Instruments in Economics
Learn more about financial instruments and how they are used.
- Financial Instruments - Learning Outcomes
- Introduction to Financial Instruments
- Collateralized Debt Obligation - Part 1
- Collateralized Debt Obligation - Part 2
- Mortgage-Backed Securities - Part 1
- Mortgage-Backed Securities - Part 2
- Mortgage-Backed Securities - Part 3
- Credit Default Swaps - Part 1
- Credit Default Swaps - Part 2
- Credit Default Swaps - Part 3
- Use Cases for Credit Default Swaps
- Financial Weapons of Mass Destruction
- Interest Rate Swap - Part 1
- Interest Rate Swap - Part 2
- Lesson Summary
END OF COURSE ASSESSMENT
Module 2: Financial Instruments Assessment
You must score 80% or more to pass this assessment.
- Financial Instruments Assessment