The past one hundred years has seen a revolution in how we understand the structure of the earth and the geological processes that shape it. In this free online course you will be introduced to the structure of the earth including features such as the crust, the mantle and the core. You will learn about plate tectonics and how continental and oceanic plates move, and what happens at divergent plate boundaries and convergent plate boundaries. You will go back in time and learn about a supercontinent called Pangaea that existed over 200 million years ago, and how the Hawaiian Islands were formed more recently. This course will be of great interest to all learners would like a greater knowledge and understanding of the structure of the earth and the geological processes that formed today's continents and oceans.
Having completed this course the learner will be able to:
- Describe the earth's outer and inner structure
- Describe what happens at divergent plate boundaries
- Describe what happens at convergent plate boundaries
- Explain how plates move due to convection in the mantle
- Explain how the Hawaiian islands were formed
All Alison courses are free to study. To successfully complete a course you must score 80% or higher in each course assessments. Upon successful completion of a course, you can choose to make your achievement formal by purchasing an official Alison Diploma, Certificate or PDF.
Having an official Alison document is a great way to share your success. Plus it’s:
- Ideal for including in CVs, job applications and portfolios
- An indication of your ability to learn and achieve high results
- An incentive to continue to empower yourself through learning
- A tangible way of supporting the Alison mission to empower people everywhere through education.
Dynamic Earth: Understanding Plate Tectonics
Modules List( 2 )
INTRODUCTION TO PLATE TECTONICS
1 Introduction to Plate Tectonics
Learn more about plate tectonics and the structure of the earth.
- Plate Tectonics - Learning Outcomes
- Difference between Crust and Lithosphere
- Structure of the Earth
- Compositional and Mechanical Layers of the Earth
- How We Know about the Earth's Core
- Evidence of Plate Movement
- Geological Features of Divergent Plate Boundaries
- Geological Features of Convergent Plate Boundaries
- Plates Moving Due to Convection in Mantle
- Hawaiian Islands Formation
- Lesson Summary
END OF COURSE ASSESSMENT
Module 2: Plate Tectonics Assessment
You must score 80% or more to pass this assessment.
- Plate Tectonics Assessment