World War 1 was a momentous event that resulted not only in the death of millions of soldiers and civilians but also in the political collapse of European empires and the beginning of the rise of America as a world power. In this fascinating course on World War 1 history, you will learn about the political alliances between countries in Europe and how they pitted Britain, France and Russia against Germany and Austro-Hungary. You will learn about the decisive battles of the First World War on the Western and Eastern fronts and what eventually led to Germany's defeat. Finally, you will learn about the post-war negotiations and the Treaty of Versailles. This course will be of great interest to all students who would like to learn more about what led to the outbreak of World War 1, the military battles which occurred during the First World War and political outcome after the war that shaped world events for the rest of the 20th century.
Having completed this course the learner will be able to:
- Describe the political alliances that formed before the war;
- Describe the events such as the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand that led to the outbreak of the war;
- Describe the great battles on the Western and Eastern fronts that decided the outcome of the war;
- Describe the post-war settlements at Versailles that shaped world politics for the rest of the 20th century
All Alison courses are free to study. To successfully complete a course you must score 80% or higher in each course assessments. Upon successful completion of a course, you can choose to make your achievement formal by purchasing an official Alison Diploma, Certificate or PDF.
Having an official Alison document is a great way to share your success. Plus it’s:
- Ideal for including in CVs, job applications and portfolios
- An indication of your ability to learn and achieve high results
- An incentive to continue to empower yourself through learning
- A tangible way of supporting the Alison mission to empower people everywhere through education.
World History - World War 1 and Its Aftermath
Modules List( 2 )
WORLD HISTORY - WORLD WAR 1 AND ITS AFTERMATH
1 World War 1 and Its Aftermath
Learn more about World War 1 and its aftermath.
- World War 1 and Its Aftermath - Learning Outcomes
- Empires before World War 1
- German and Italian Empires in 1914
- Alliances Leading to World War 1
- Language and Religion of the Former Yugoslavia
- Assassination of Franz Ferdinand by Gavrilo Princip
- The Great War Begins
- Schlieffen Plan and the First Battle of the Marne
- Comparing the Eastern and Western Fronts
- World War 1 - Eastern Front
- Battles of Verdun, Somme and the Hindenburg Line
- Closing stages of World War 1
- Technology in World War 1
- Deaths in World War 1
- Woodrow Wilson's Fourteen Points
- Paris Peace Conference and Treaty of Versailles
- The Treaty of Versailles and Germany
- Lesson Summary
END OF COURSE ASSESSMENT
Module 2: World War 1 and Its Aftermath Assessment
You must score 80% or more to pass this assessment.
- World War 1 and Its Aftermath Assessment