A virus is a small infectious particle which can only replicate inside the cells of a living organism. Most viruses are harmless to humans, some are infectious and make us ill for a short period of time such as the flu virus, but some are highly infectious and can be deadly such as the Ebola virus. The study of viruses is called virology and is a very important scientific discipline. In this free online virology course you will be introduced to the fundamentals of virology. You will learn the basics of what a virus is and how it attaches to and replicates within cells. You will study the infectious cycle of a virus and how it uses the DNA replication processes within a cell to multiply rapidly. This free online virology course will be of interest to all healthcare professionals who would like to learn more about viruses and how they affect human health, and to any lay person wishing to dispel the myths surrounding viruses.
- Understanding the real truth with Viruses, how they exist and survive;
- Examine the structure of commonly found viruses and how they replicate;
- Learn all about how viruses live around us every day and what viruses cause illness in humans.
All Alison courses are free to study. To successfully complete a course you must score 80% or higher in each course assessments. Upon successful completion of a course, you can choose to make your achievement formal by purchasing an official Alison Diploma, Certificate or PDF.
Having an official Alison document is a great way to share your success. Plus it’s:
- Ideal for including in CVs, job applications and portfolios
- An indication of your ability to learn and achieve high results
- An incentive to continue to empower yourself through learning
- A tangible way of supporting the Alison mission to empower people everywhere through education.
Fundamentals of Virology
Modules List( 2 )
FUNDAMENTALS OF VIROLOGY
1 Fundamentals of Virology
In this module learn more about viruses and their effects on human health.
- What is a Virus part 1
- What is a Virus part 2
- What is a Virus part 3
- The Infectious Cycle part 1
- The Infectious Cycle part 2
- The Infectious Cycle part 3
- Genomes and Genetics part 1
- Genomes and Genetics part 2
- Genomes and Genetics part 3
- Structure part 1
- Structure part 2
- Structure part 3
- Attachment and Entry part 1
- Attachment and Entry part 2
- Attachment and Entry part 3
END OF COURSE ASSESSMENT
2 Fundamentals of Virology Assessment
You must score 80% or more to pass this assessment.
- Introduction to Virology Assessment