Learn more about financial mathematics and the key concepts vital to every learner’s financial success.
Take this certificate on your own.
Start now and learn at your own pace.
CertificationView course modules
In today’s economy financial math skills are indispensable. This maths course is designed to provide learners with some of the essential skills required for managing personal finances.
The aim of this course is to convey the basic concepts of financial maths; and it is designed for those individuals seeking to better understand the role that maths can play in their everyday economic life. Upon completion of this course, learners will gain the skills necessary for working with commonplace financial maths and the essential mathematical background required to interpret their personal finances.
This course contains a series of 24 videos followed by a short assessment intended to assist the learner in better evaluating their overall comprehension of the material.
Module 1: Financial Maths
Profit, Markup and Margin
Calculating Profit with Special Offers
Percentage Loss 1
Percentage Loss 2
Simple Interest - Calculating the Interest
Simple Interest - Calculating the Rate
Simple Interest - Calculating the Principal
Simple Interest - Calculating the Period
Percentage Changes Using Multipliers
Reverse Percentages and VAT
Introducing Compound Interest
Compound Interest and Annual Equivalent Rate
Compound Interest APR with Credit Cards
Calculating Monthly Interest from APR - Two Methods
Income Tax, USC and PRSI
Net Pay/Take Home Pay
Present Value - Working Out Future Value
Present Value - Working Out Present Value
Present Value - Harder Example
Present Value and Amortisation Problem
Completing an Amortisation Schedule
Savings and Amortisation
Module 2: Financial Maths Assessment
- Having completed this course, learners will be able to:
- - Understand the key concepts vital to every learner’s financial success. These include: Profit, Loss, Interest, Principal, Compound Interest, Annual Equivalent Rate (AER), Annual Percentage Rate (APR), Depreciation, Income Tax, Value, Amortisation and Savings.
- - Explain the difference between profit, markup and margin.
- - Calculate Profit with Special Offers.
- - Understand and calculate percentage loss.
- - Calculate simple interest as well as the principal, period and rates associated with simple interest.
- - Calculate percentage changes using multipliers.
- - Determine VAT.
- - Calculate APR and applying compound interest and APR with credit card.
- - Apply the Annual Equivalent Rate (AER).
- - Apply income tax, USC, and PRSI as well as net pay vs. take home pay.
- - Work out value, future and present.
- - Complete an amortization schedule as well as understand savings and amortization.
All Alison courses are free to enrol, study and complete. To successfully complete this Certificate course and become an Alison Graduate, you need to achieve 80% or higher in each course assessment. Once you have completed this Certificate course, you have the option to acquire an official Certificate, which is a great way to share your achievement with the world. Your Alison Certificate is:
Ideal for sharing with potential employers - include it in your CV, professional social media profiles and job applications
An indication of your commitment to continuously learn, upskill and achieve high results
An incentive for you to continue empowering yourself through lifelong learning
Alison offers 3 types of Certificates for completed Certificate courses:
Digital Certificate - a downloadable Certificate in PDF format, immediately available to you when you complete your purchase
Certificate - a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Certificate, posted to you with FREE shipping
Framed Certificate - a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Certificate in a stylish frame, posted to you with FREE shipping
All Certificates are available to purchase through the Alison Shop. For more information on purchasing Alison Certificates, please visit our FAQs. If you decide not to purchase your Alison Certificate, you can still demonstrate your achievement by sharing your Learner Record or Learner Achievement Verification, both of which are accessible from your Dashboard. For more details on our Certificate pricing, please visit our Pricing Page.
Free, Online Financial Maths Course
This Course has been revised!
For a more enjoyable learning experience, we recommend that you study the mobile-friendly republished version of this course.Take me to revised course.