Jeff Hawkins is the co-founder of Palm and Handspring and is the architect of many computing products such as the PalmPilot and the Treo smartphone. In this course he will take you on a journey through his career, how he became an entrepreneur and the importance of believing in your product. He teaches valuable lessons about the importance of experience, following your passions and how to keep a work/life balance. He discusses how to design successful products, the role of market research and the need to continuously test products. In terms of the company workplace, he talks about how a good business culture and a strong human resources policy are vital. You will also learn about the importance and inevitability of portable technology.
This course will be of great interest to business professionals who will learn much from the experience, knowledge and wisdom Jeff Hawkins has gained over his career. It will also be of interest to business students setting out on their careers, in particular those who would like to become technology entrepreneurs.
After studying this course you will learn:
- How entrepreneurship is a means to an end, as opposed to an end in itself;
- Why each entrepreneur is unique in their own way;
- How it helps to have experience under your belt before you start your own business;
- The importance of doing something you believe in;
- Maintaining a work/life balance;
- Defining your company’s culture and creating a good solid culture;
- Dealing with difficult negotiations;
- How to design successful products;
- Understanding the role of market research;
- Examine important subjects that entrepreneurs should be well versed in;
- Why you should test products, product marketing and innovating continuously;
- Learn the importance and inevitability of portability.
All Alison courses are free to study. To successfully complete a course you must score 80% or higher in each course assessments. Upon successful completion of a course, you can choose to make your achievement formal by purchasing an official Alison Diploma, Certificate or PDF.
Having an official Alison document is a great way to share your success. Plus it’s:
- Ideal for including in CVs, job applications and portfolios
- An indication of your ability to learn and achieve high results
- An incentive to continue to empower yourself through learning
- A tangible way of supporting the Alison mission to empower people everywhere through education.
Characteristics of the Successful Entrepreneur
Modules List( 2 )
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SUCCESSFUL ENTREPRENEUR
1 Characteristics of the Successful Entrepreneur
This course will be of great interest to business professionals who will learn much from the experience, knowledge and wisdom Jeff Hawkins has gained over his career.
- What is an Entrepreneur?
- Genesis of Palm Computing
- The Accidental Entrepreneur: Palm History
- Story of Acquisition: Palm, US Robotics, 3Com
- Spinoff: Handspring
- Handspring: Envisioning the Future
- Serial Entrepreneurship: Redwood Neuroscience Institute
- Profiles of Entrepreneurs
- Importance of Experience
- Follow Your Passions
- Individual vs. Company
- Entrepreneurship is a Means to an End
- You Can Live a Normal Life
- Defining Company Culture
- Difficult Negotiations
- Designing Successful Products
- The Role of Market Research
- Work/Life Balance
- Hawkins: What I Wish I'd Learned in College
- Product Development: Importance of Customers and Testing
- Portable Technologies
END OF COURSE ASSESSMENT
2 Entrepreneurship Assessment
You must score 80% or more to pass this assessment.
- Entrepreneur Assessment