Speaking and Writing English Effectively
"Speaking and Writing English Effectively" is designed for proficient English speakers who would like to improve their speaking and writing skills.
The course compares a variety of writing styles including imaginative writing, journalism, English in the media and textual analysis. It also offers a comprehensive guide to using language effectively and is ideal for English students as well as those who want to improve their written English for work or pleasure.
Progress in your analysis and writing of the English language
This course will teach you techniques that are of help in analysing the English language. You will gain knowledge of a combination of writing styles, as well as how to give a successful presentation to an audience. You will understand how journalists report the news and how to plan your essay in an easy step-by-step process.
- English: Introduction and course outline
- English: Writing for different purposes and audiences
- How journalists go about their jobs
- Analysing the language of the media
- An approach to studying a text
- Analysing media language
- Text analysis of The Great Gatsby
- Approaches to English
- Using language effectively
- Effective presentations
- Personal and imaginative writing
- What is an issue?
- Researching issues
- Issue analysis
- Using language effectively 1
- Using language effectively 2
- Using language effectively 3
- Using language effectively 4
- Using language effectively 5
- Hints and tips for exams