Understanding our Environment in Geography
This free online environmental course explores a number of major global phenomena at play including deforestation, climate change and drought. The course then delves into the socioeconomic consequences of these effects. This free, self-paced online tutorial is an ideal complement to traditional textbook learning. Teachers can treat the course as a resource and assign specific areas to students. The course can also be used as a stand-alone introduction to the various facets of environmental biodiversity and its key political and social corollaries.
Understand the impact of global phenomena, responses to global problems, and global warming
After completing this course you will know about various global phenomena and their impact on people and places. You will learn about rainforest destruction, rising sea levels and refugees. You will understand the different strategies that are carried out in response to global problems. You will know about carbon emissions and carbon credit trading. You will be aware of the responses to sea level change and global warming around the world.
- Definition and classification of global phenomena
- Impacts of global phenomena on people and places
- The distribution of global phenomena
- Natural processes which generate global phenomena
- The environment: taking a global perpective
- Rainforest destruction
- Global responses to rainforest destruction
- The effectiveness of global environmental strategies
- Carbon emissions
- The 1997 Kyoto conference
- How are organisations responding to global environmental issues?